[comp.sys.next] You Want a _SMALLER_ Drive?

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/21/90)

In article <Fp1nw$62@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> Why doesn't NeXT offer machines w/o the 105 Mb drive and sell them for
> $500 less?  A network of NeXT's would only require the 40 meg hard
> drive for swapping on each machine.  I think it's still going to be a

Well, I would guess that the price difference between a
40Meg and a 100Meg drive is definitely not $500. Besides,
you can configure /tmp, as well as swap on the local disk
and really cut down on net traffic. That's what we plan to
do. (Of course, you can also set up a phantom NFS server to
make a chunk of each drive in a lab a "hidden" file system,
available only to special users, like, umm, systems
staff?  Imagine 60 on a net, take 60Meg each, hmmm, 3.6Gig
of hidden files! Yup, we have some configuring to do
before we put these in service! :-)

> hard sell for NeXT on college campus'.  The Mac is entrenched(Apple is
> hard at work unloading SE's on unsuspecting college students at PSU),
> and the PC just won't go away.  Besides, the NeXT's are still priced
> out of the average college student's market.  In fact they are still
> priced out of the home user's market.  Networks of NeXTs on college
> campuses and in corporate America are where they are going to sell, so
> the 105 meg. drives won't be needed.

I just plain disagree. As memory needs rise, the swap must
grow, in the long run you'll be saying "What, only 100 Meg
disk! Braindamaged ratzen, fratzen. . ."

Enjoy, it wouldn't be that much cheaper. It's that much
better. I think they got this one right.

				- peterd

 " Although botanically speaking a fruit, in 1893 the U.S. Supreme Court
 unanimously ruled that tomatoes are a vegetable (and thus taxable under
 the Tariff Act of 1883) because of the way they are usually served. "

                                          ref:  Smithsonian, August, 1990.