[comp.sys.next] Updated comp.sys.next archive site

penrose@esosun.UUCP (Christopher Penrose) (09/20/90)

Somewhere along my newsfeed a lot of comp.sys.next articles are getting
trashed. I took a look at the purdue ftp sites and the news articles haven't
been updated since july.  Is anyone archiving this newsgroup?  I have seen
some articles refering to product announcments made in other articles that
I have not seen.  Thanks!

Christopher Penrose
penrose@esosun.css.gov

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit Huizenga) (09/22/90)

In article <613@esosun.UUCP> penrose@esosun.css.gov.UUCP (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>trashed. I took a look at the purdue ftp sites and the news articles haven't
>been updated since july.  Is anyone archiving this newsgroup?  I have seen

Mea culpa, somehow.  I have them all and the "current" file in the
pub/next/news directory is now over a Meg.  I need to sort it out by month
again so that without ftp access can get what they need in reasonable time
with the email server.  Anyway, I fixed the problem (I hope) and all should
be better.

BTW, it is time again to make a call for software.  While the archives are
definitely growing (there's about 50 Meg of stuff on that disk now,
although some might be redundent because I'm splitting up NextAnswers a
bit) the number of submissions isn't escalating exponentially or anything.
If you've been saving up a good class definition or application (hopefully
with source!) please send it in.  (Yeah, I know, this is my semi-irregular
request, but sometimes you have to encourage people a little :-)

Anway, here's the grotty info again:

Submissions to next-archive@cc.purdue.edu.  If it's too big, send a note
to that address and we'll provide alternate means of submission.

Questions, comments, problems, requests for info etc. to
archive-management@cc.purdue.edu (notice I did NOT say "gerrit@...";
you'll usually get a quicker response if you send to the alias because more
people read it).

FTP access is now on either sonata.cc.purdue.edu or nova.cc.purdue.edu.
Log in as "anonymous" and use your email address as the password.  NeXT
stuff is in pub/next.  I'm completely removing all remnants of stuff that
was on cc.purdue.edu (j.cc.purdue.edu) shortly so be sure to use the new
hosts.

Email access to the archives is available.  For information, send a message
to archive-server@cc.purdue.edu with a subject of "help".  Pay particular
attention to the "size" option.  Several people have been requesting large
batches of software and the requests are bouncing because some sites won't
handle more than 100K letters.  Questions that the server can't answer
should be addressed to archive-management@cc.purdue.edu.

gerrit