[comp.sys.next] Worst error messages of all time.

pmontgom@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (Peter Montgomery) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.172807.25052@Solbourne.COM> imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:
>Given all the weird messages in the machine, what about the error messages
>that get printed from time to time?  I've seen some really bad ones.

	Presently, if I try to assemble a program on a NeXT
and the source code has a duplicate label, such as

abc:
abc:

then I get (dup.s = source file name)

    dup.s:2:FATAL:as: 2nd pass not implemented - get your code from random(3)

The SUN 3 error message for that source code is much clearer

    as: error (dup.s:2): Multiply defined symbol
    as: Assembler Error-- wrong number of text labels: 1 found
--
        Peter L. Montgomery
        pmontgom@MATH.UCLA.EDU