[comp.sys.next] Bundling, customization <was: 15,000 orders---inflated?>

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/24/90)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

>For one thing, if NeXT sells 100 machines a day, it'd be a fulltime
>job for  10 people putting together all those custom loaded systems.
>NeXT wont like that.

>Second, it forces the software folks to cut some sort of deal, and
>distribute through NeXT. This cuts into their profits and
>marketing flexibility. They wont like that.

	Ah, but such an approach is certainly do-able, and software
vendors DO like bundling, as it allows them to piggyback on the success
of the base hardware or software platform.

	AT&T is currently prime contractor for the FAA's OATS contract
involving thousands of 386/25 platforms, each an every one of which is
custom configured for both hardware and software. It's a highly automated
process, down to recording component serial numbers and software install-
ation from network servers. (This, from a report in, I believe, Federal
Computer Week.) NeXT's "Factory of the Future" could certainly do as well.

	By the way, saw the "pizza box" NextStation at the recent FCC.
VERY nice! Don't know the cost to upgrade to the 340 MB drive... Don't
think I could go for long with 105. One more item for the old wish list.