[comp.sys.next] Where's Pascal and Modula-2?

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/24/90)

In article <1308@surf.sics.bu.oz>, goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) writes:
> From article <8265@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity):
>

> Thanks for the guff on the printer, that is appreciated.
> >>And... does anyone know of a good Modula-2 compiler for the NeXT.. is
> >>there one in the PD ?
> >
> > farber@pcpond.cis.upenn.edu. (David J. Farber) posted:
> >
> > its at gatekeeper.dec.com . pub/DEC/Modula-3 ...

I looked in the latest Software and Peripherals manual and
there is a company called Jefferson Software Corporation,
phone (602) 234-3106. They claim to have a commercial
Modula-2, shipping first quarter 1991.

This made me think - where's the Pascal? I have never had
anyone ask for it here, and as we plan to keep year one
courses on our Suns for now, it's not a big issue, but
it seems strange that they didn't bundle Pascal with the
cube, as it seems to own the 1st year comp. sci. language
prize and is actually a part of standard Berkeley.

I just checked, it really is not there, noe is it in the
Software and Peripherals guide. The fact that I never felt
to need to ask before may have something to do with it,
but I was wondering if anyone else has felt the need and
found a solution.

So how about it - does anyone know of Pascal for the NeXT?
Seems like a strange omission.

			- peterd

 " Although botanically speaking a fruit, in 1893 the U.S. Supreme Court
 unanimously ruled that tomatoes are a vegetable (and thus taxable under
 the Tariff Act of 1883) because of the way they are usually served. "

                                          ref:  Smithsonian, August, 1990.