[comp.sys.next] How many drive bays in a slab?

whelan@huey.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) (09/21/90)

	How many drive bays are there in a slab?  Can I add an additional
3.5" hard drive?
	And what if I crash my hard disk?  Is it possible to boot from
floppy?  I heard someone mention that the system is available on
"installable media" for about $400...
whelan@  (uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu || uhccux.BITNET || nextsrv.wslab.hawaii.edu)

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/24/90)

In article <9484@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, whelan@huey.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:

> 	How many drive bays are there in a slab?  Can I add an additional
> 3.5" hard drive?

I have the new brochure open in front of me (Best I can do
until our machines arrive :-) and there really isn't room
for another drive inside the machine. I can imagine
someone removing the floppy and making room for another
one, but your best best would be the external SCSI port.

BTW, this vrochure says, in writing, that the machine is
rated at 15 MIPS, so there. Finally a published claim.
Now, for LINTLEPack, MEggafloops, Biggasteps, and (my
personal favorite) Dhrystones. And the last one is _REAL_!

> 	And what if I crash my hard disk?  Is it possible to boot from
> floppy?  I heard someone mention that the system is available on
> "installable media" for about $400...

ALthough I don't have either 2.0 or documents in front of
me, from what I know about UNIX I'd bet the answer is
"yes". Seems to me it would be harder to make it _not_
boot from floppy.

				- peterd

^X ^I .signature

"Wake up, grow up, do something!  Your ignorance is becoming intolerable."

				- Found in alt.sex.pictures.d