[comp.sys.next] Cola war with Apple

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/21/90)

NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
Thing", "the Pepsi Generation", or "The Computer For The Rest of Us."
I would say they did a great job building the machine, but they have
to sell it, which might actually turn out to be harder.  Do you think
there is enough brain power on the net to come up with an award
winning slogan?  Better yet, a NeXT song like "I'd like to buy the
world a NeXT... ." :-)

-Mike

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/21/90)

/ comp.sys.next / melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) / Sep 20, 1990 /

> NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
> Thing" [...]

Black Is Beautiful

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

lmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Mann) (09/21/90)

In article <130096@gore.com>, jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
> / comp.sys.next / melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) / Sep 20, 1990 /
> > NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
> > Thing" [...]
> Black Is Beautiful

If NeXT wanted to be derisive (say, John Silber or Bart Simpson were writing
NeXT's ads), a catch phrase could be:

	Only boobs don't like cubes

***     Laurie_Mann@es.stratus.com ** uunet!lectroid!es!Laurie_Mann     ***
***   Stratus Computer, 55 Fairbanks Blvd., M22PUB, Marlboro, MA 01752  ***
***	   Work like hell  *  Tell everyone everything you know 	***
***            Close a deal with a handshake  *  Have fun		***
***	            Harold (Doc) Edgerton  1903-1990			***

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (09/21/90)

From article <130096@gore.com>, by jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore):
> / comp.sys.next / melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) / Sep 20, 1990 /
>> NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
>> Thing" [...]
> Black Is Beautiful

But what happens when you can get cubes in neon colors?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (09/22/90)

In article <F96h1#62@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds,  ...
>       ...   Better yet, a NeXT song like "I'd like to buy the
>world a NeXT... ." :-)

   The world, hell! I'd like to buy *myself* a NeXT. =8) Actually, I think
a *song* may be going a bit far  ...  though it has some, um, amusing
possibilities. Too bad the Slab isn't of a ratio 1:4:9 (and the NeXTdimension
1:4:9:25 ... ?) Or we could steal from popular radio ("Black Hardware,
no more waiting for ... Black Hardware, if you pleeeasssee... <whine, twang>")

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W

izot@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/22/90)

 > From: jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore)

 > / comp.sys.next / melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) / Sep 20, 1990 /
 > > NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
 > > Thing" [...]
 >
 > Black Is Beautiful

"Black by popular demand."
 --
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!geoff | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: geoff@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939               | (519) 741-9553
"Experience talks... and talks... and talks..."

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/24/90)

In article <3143@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> From article <130096@gore.com>, by jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore):
> > / comp.sys.next / melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) / Sep 20, 1990 /
> >> NeXT needs a phrase that sticks in peoples minds, like the "Real
> >> Thing" [...]
> > Black Is Beautiful
>
> But what happens when you can get cubes in neon colors?

You conclude that the long awaited third-party NeXT clone
market has arrived. There are things I don't like about
Jobs, but I would hope that his sense of aethestics would
prevent neon cubes as long as he held 50 percent + one of
the shares. :-)

			- peterd

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
| a   a |	No, I'm not _THE_ Peter Deutsch, I'm _A_ Peter Deutsch.
 \  a  /	I think the other guy still works for ParcPlace Systems.
  \___/         No I don't have his email address. He doesn't know me, either.