[comp.sys.next] NeXT Mouse Switch bounce problem... solved in 2.0??

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (09/23/90)

Is the mouse button switch bounce problem solved in NeXT OS2.0?

Either NeXT has been using cheap switches or didn't include
standard circuitry to eliminate switch bounces in the mouse,
the current mouse switches degrades fast and cause single
clicks to become double or even triple or more clicks.

This has been a cause of a lot of headaches lately, while
working with WorkSpace Manager and other applications.

Although this is a hardware problem, I believe this can be
solved in software.  Has this mouse switch bounce problem
been solved in OS2.0?

Or does NeXT have a redesigned mouse for replacement which
eliminates this problem once and for all?
I wouldn't mind replacing the mice, but I don't want to do
it every 6 months.

By the way, a good way to test  the integrity of your mouse
is to use Synthesizer Application in /Nextdeveloper/Demos.
You will hear single clicks turning into multiple clicks,
if the problem exists.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (09/24/90)

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>Either NeXT has been using cheap switches or didn't include
>standard circuitry to eliminate switch bounces in the mouse,
>the current mouse switches degrades fast and cause single
>clicks to become double or even triple or more clicks.

>This has been a cause of a lot of headaches lately, while
>working with WorkSpace Manager and other applications.

I just switched my left and right buttons in Preferences, and while
it took a little getting used to, and is not a very elegant solution,
I've had no problems since.  (Of course, I'd rather my mouse worked
correctly...)

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
(812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --