[comp.sys.next] new NeXT

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.214607.1515@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

   [Info about Next releasing extremely nicely priced Next in last-ditch effort]
   [to save the company]

   >>Read comp.sys.next for more info.

   Let's take this to c.s.next.  Macintosh discussions are routinely flamed in the
   Next group, so I'm not sure we should be reading Next stuff here.

   Just a thought...

   Robert

   = gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
   =            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
   =                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

Why not?  When I describe the NeXT computer to people, I tell them
that it is a "workstation class Mac."  I think that people who like
the Mac will also like the NeXT computer.  The NeXT is a great deal at
the moment(this may change after they hit it big time).  After all, a
Mac fx costs ~$5500 dollars and runs at 1/2 the speed.  Besides, when
it comes time to upgrade your Mac, you might find that it's cheaper to
buy a new NeXT instead. ;-).

-Mike

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (09/21/90)

It's late, and probably I should keep my mouth shut, but I get
just too many people with this same song and dance (not just about
the NeXT...most every new machine comes with its share of silly
expectations).  Try to keep in mind that I really like the NeXT,
and will 95% certain buy a NeXTStation...

In article <Fkc$h#62@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Why not?  When I describe the NeXT computer to people, I tell them
>that it is a "workstation class Mac."

He was refering to the nearly endless flame war that develops
whenever people mention Mac and NeXT in the same article.

In any case, every time I try to explain a NeXt in those terms,
the eyes light up and I get "Gee...you mean it will run Excel and
MacPaint and...".  Then I get to explain that, well, it's *like*
a Mac...but it's not a Mac...the eyes go dim and they by a couple
more IIcx's.  A Mac is a Mac and a NeXT is a NeXT, and as far as
people who buy lots of machines are concerned, thats not even
close...

>I think that people who like
>the Mac will also like the NeXT computer.  The NeXT is a great deal at
>the moment(this may change after they hit it big time).  After all, a
>Mac fx costs ~$5500 dollars and runs at 1/2 the speed.  Besides, when
>it comes time to upgrade your Mac, you might find that it's cheaper to
>buy a new NeXT instead. ;-).

This completely ignores reality.  A single individual, sure,
maybe upgrading from a Mac to a NeXT is no big deal.  However,
for the companies that I routinely deal with (several with
revenue in the billions), those that have dropped perhaps $1-5
million dollars on Macs, and more importantly, Mac software, in
the past two years, jumping into the NeXT machine at this point
would mean trashing that investment in hardware, throwing the
software (often custom written) in the dumpster, and spending the
next year to 2 years trying to sort out the MIS mess.  Most of
these shops have just gone through trench warfare trying to get
Macs in the door in the first place (anybody here tried to
explain to a VP of MIS at a 20 year MVS/TSO shop why he needs
icons and windows?).  This, kids, is why people still buy 4381's
and AS/400's when we *all* know that a SPARCServer 330 blows them
away for a fifth the cost.

The bottom line is that computer companies do not succeed by
selling to students and a few artists.  Computer companies
prosper by breaking into the general buisiness market and selling
to the government.  NeXt isin't even in the ballpark to do either
at this point.

--

	ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."

In article <13955@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

   He was refering to the nearly endless flame war that develops
   whenever people mention Mac and NeXT in the same article.

   In any case, every time I try to explain a NeXt in those terms,
   the eyes light up and I get "Gee...you mean it will run Excel and
   MacPaint and...".  Then I get to explain that, well, it's *like*
   a Mac...but it's not a Mac...the eyes go dim and they by a couple
   more IIcx's.  A Mac is a Mac and a NeXT is a NeXT, and as far as
   people who buy lots of machines are concerned, thats not even
   close...

   [stuff deleted]
   --

	   ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	   "Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."

When people ask for Excel, I tell them about Wingz.  If companies
purchase Wingz(Word Perfect -- and don't forget about Framemaker) they
are not going to be locked into a hardware company.  They can buy
Macs, IBM PC's, NeXT's, or even Sun Workstations, and use them all
effectively in an office.  If people could effortlessly(i.e. w/o
reformatting.) load their Word 4.0 documents into WP or WriteNow on
the NeXT, then it would be an easier sell NeXT's to businesses who
have already made a commitment to the Mac.  I don't suppose Microsoft
is going to port their wares to the NeXT.  They're probably still at
little miffed at NeXT.  Oh well, the price for not getting a product
to market early in a computer's life is very little market share.
IMHO, now would be an excellent time for Word Perfect to take a shot
at Word 4.0 on the Mac.

-Mike

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (09/21/90)

In article <F7$$_j72@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D
Mellinger) writes:

|>When people ask for Excel, I tell them about Wingz.  If companies
|>purchase Wingz(Word Perfect -- and don't forget about Framemaker) they
|>are not going to be locked into a hardware company.  They can buy
|>Macs, IBM PC's, NeXT's, or even Sun Workstations, and use them all
|>effectively in an office.  If people could effortlessly(i.e. w/o
|>reformatting.) load their Word 4.0 documents into WP or WriteNow on
|>the NeXT, then it would be an easier sell NeXT's to businesses who
|>have already made a commitment to the Mac.  I don't suppose Microsoft
|>is going to port their wares to the NeXT.  They're probably still at
|>little miffed at NeXT.  Oh well, the price for not getting a product
|>to market early in a computer's life is very little market share.
|>IMHO, now would be an excellent time for Word Perfect to take a shot
|>at Word 4.0 on the Mac.

You're probably right about Microsoft, and it's too bad. Excel is better than
Wingz.  Word is much, much better than WordPerfect (yuch). And there are
several
other good Microsoft products out there.

By the way, are there DOS and OS/2 versions of Wingz yet?  If not, Excel still
provides the best cross platform compatability of any business spreadsheet.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jmann@es.stratus.com

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/25/90)

In article <2412@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>Excel is better than Wingz.
This is new to me...
>Word is much, much better than WordPerfect (yuch).
On the Mac, yes. On PC's and on all the UNIX and VMS machines
certainly not. (Not even to speak about the fact that Word is not
available on some of these machines). WordPerfect is still the most
portable text processing program.

>By the way, are there DOS and OS/2 versions of Wingz yet?

Yes there is at least a Windows 3.0 version around.

Ronald

PS: If you find a GOOD Microsoft product, please tell me. I always
like to know new things. I haven't come across one yet. But then, what
else than brain damaged software do you expect on a brain damaged
XYZ-compatible computer?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet