[net.auto] SSN as Driver's Licence Number

moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) (09/19/85)

To those of you in Joisey who seem to dislike Social Security Numbers as
Driver's Licence Numbers, Massachusetts also uses SSN's as driver's licence
numbers.  However, you can request a different number by omitting the SSN from
the application.  This will give you a number beginning with "S" and having 8
numbers after it.  This also seems to aggravate the motor vehicle somewhat. I
believe this option is required by the federal Social Security laws.  See if
something similar is available in Jersey.  How about other states?  I know at
least Washington, D.C. also has SSN's as DL id's by default.

-Mike Moroney

danb@ihlpg.UUCP (Beitz) (09/20/85)

> To those of you in Joisey who seem to dislike Social Security Numbers as
> Driver's Licence Numbers, Massachusetts also uses SSN's as driver's licence
> numbers.  However, you can request a different number by omitting the SSN from
> the application.  This will give you a number beginning with "S" and having 8
> numbers after it.  This also seems to aggravate the motor vehicle somewhat. I
> believe this option is required by the federal Social Security laws.  See if
> something similar is available in Jersey.  How about other states?  I know at
> least Washington, D.C. also has SSN's as DL id's by default.
>
> -Mike Moroney

North Dakota also uses your Social Security Number as your driver's license
number.

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (09/23/85)

[Go ahead bug, make my day.]

     Hawaii uses your SSN as your Driver's License Number.  I don't remember
an escape clause to use another number.

--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}

quint@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Amqueue) (09/26/85)

In article <1283@ihlpg.UUCP> danb@ihlpg.UUCP (Beitz) writes:

>> To those of you in Joisey who seem to dislike Social Security Numbers as
>> Driver's Licence Numbers, Massachusetts also uses SSN's as driver's licence
>> -Mike Moroney

hmmm, this is odd. I have a Jersey License and my number bears little relation
that I can see to my SSN. It is broken up into 3 parts: the first starts wiht
the first letter of my last name, and is somehow hashed off the last name as
all the members of my family have the same first section of the number. I
have been told that the middle section has something to do with my physical
description, but I cant verify that. I know the last section used to be
Birthday and eye color, but they have changed that.

if they have made another change to the coding system, they have done it in
the past 2 years, as I got my license in 1983.

/amqueue

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (09/26/85)

>      Hawaii uses your SSN as your Driver's License Number.  I don't remember
> an escape clause to use another number.
> 				-- Chris Yoder
> UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris
> <Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>
> {  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
>    *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)= > }

Many years ago, my father-in-law moved to Hawaii and applied for his driver's
license.  The law at the time (don't know if it's still the same) said the
state wanted your SSN or thumbprint as ID for the license (Federal law at
the time did not permit them to demand your SSN.)  Of course the SSN is
more convenient for them to use, so they always use it, even though the law
will theoretically accept either one, and the clerks at the DMV insisted on
the SSN.  (Clerks at DMV's are not interested in the law, they are interested
in following the procedures they always follow.)  So he inisted that state
law permitted either one (which it did), and that Federal law said what they
were doing was illegal, and talked his way up through N levels of
management until they eventually complied.

The Federal law is now less restrictive, so New Jersey  now demands your SSN
to give you a drivers license or register a car.  The (state) law, which is
available in printed form at the DMV, says they can use it for three
explicitly stated purposes, and forbids them to use it for anyhthing not
specified in the law, or tho give it to anyone else except under the
conditions listed therein.  Well, the law does not say they can print
it on your license or use it as your license number, but their software
prints it on the license anyway (a holdover from the days when giving them
the number was "optional", which allowed them to do anything they wanted to
with it.)  I pointed this out to the clerks, and said I didn't want my
number printed on my license and that it was illegal for them to do so, and
they weren't impressed.
	They pointed to the pay phone and gave me the phone
number of Mr. Iannoti at the Bureau of Agencies in Trenton, and told me they
might do something if HE told them to.  Well, he was helpful and friendly
and totally uncooperative, but he did add one of their lawyers (Mark
DeLella) on to the call.  DeLella said he was aware of them problem, and
that the software was being updated in a few weeks (anyone know if it's
really been done yet?).  (My license was expiring so I couldn't wait.)
We compromised - the computer would print the SSN, but the clerks blacked it
oout before making the license, so I now have a nice black stripe labelled
"Social Security Number" on my license.

My wife went in a week later to get hers renewed, and had to go through the
same hassle.  Mrs. Malloy, the clerk, did not care that she had done this
for someone else a week ago; she would only do it under direct orders since
it was against all the procedures they work under to change or deface
anything the computer has printed.  Mr. Iannotti, the bureaucrat,
did not care that the lawyer had told him the previous week that their
bureaucracy HAD to do something about the number being printed on the license.
However, after much hassle, he would make an exception in this case,
to get her off his back, but it was a one-shot thing and didn't apply
to anyone else.  (So, everyone, please tell him I gave you his name!)

So, if you're getting a New Jersey Driver's license, you can get it without
the SSN printed on it if either you have lots of patience (and a telephone
credit card) or if they've updated their software.  Arrggh!.  Bureaucrats
only comply with the law if you badger their bosses enough.

----
The story you have heard is true.  The names have been misspelled to
incriminate the guilty.
----
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

allan@nmtvax.UUCP (09/29/85)

I believe that Georgia uses SSN for driver's license numbers.
When I got my first license (in GA), they asked for my SSN card.  I did not
have it, so they gave me another number, which was used until I left GA
and got a NM license.

After I turned 18, I got a letter from Selective Service telling me to register
for the draft.  The letter was to my former GA address and had my GA drivers
license number as my SSN.

That is why I think that GA uses SSN for drivers license numbers.

Allan F. Perry