[comp.sys.next] OD in a shoe box?

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (09/25/90)

In article <50920@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>There is no way of using an OD with the
>NeXTstation.

Would NeXT please offer an OD in a shoe box as an option
to be connected to SCSI port?

Yes, I know OD is not SCSI, and a large VSLI (optical storage
processor) is in the cube to handle ECC and much of the work
involved in optical disk I/O.
This chip is removed from the "slab" designs.

But, it should be possible to include that within the shoe box
and add a SCSI interface.

NeXTstation looks very attractive for my home use, but I really
like OD too.  If it won't be possible to add an OD to NeXTstation,
that would be a large negative factor.

It also seems that an OD in a shoe box can be made much more
resistant to dust problems by using good air filters.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu