[comp.sys.next] Developer Kits / Does a Compiler Come with a Next?

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (09/25/90)

With all the recent hoo-haa about the NeXT and the incredible pricing
I would really like to buy one.  Unfortunately, I understand that apps
for the NeXT are incredibly expensive.  Does Next come with a C or C++
compiler?  What other tools are available?  How does one become a
recognized developer for the NeXT?  Finally, while the pricing is good
getting the NeXTDimension will put me in the poor house...would it be
better to buy an old Cube and upgrade?

I appreciate your any responses,

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
|  | ~   ~ |  |
   . O   o .      Work: ...uucp!rti!ntpdvp1!willr
|     .V.     |   Fun:  ...uucp!cs.unc.edu!raymond
     ._ _.

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/26/90)

In article <632@ntpdvp1.UUCP> willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) writes:
>With all the recent hoo-haa about the NeXT and the incredible pricing
>I would really like to buy one.  Unfortunately, I understand that apps
>for the NeXT are incredibly expensive.  Does Next come with a C or C++
>compiler?  What other tools are available?

Yes, the NeXT comes with the gnu C compiler enhanced for Objective-C
and, I think, also for C++ in the latest release (don't quote me on
that).  There are many other development tools including a debugger,
standard UNIX tools, Interface Builder, etc.  Be aware that the smallest-
disk system does not come with these tools, although you can get them
separately for a nominal fee, I believe.

And not all apps for the NeXT are incredibly expensive.  Our product,
TouchType, is only $249.  Lotus Improv retails for $595, I think,
Diagram! is only $249 -- there are lots of products that are priced
comparably to Macintosh applications.  There are a few that are very
expensive, but there are many that are reasonable, too.

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers