[net.auto] Honda Disks

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (09/30/85)

In article <482@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> paulsen@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Bill Paulsen) writes:
>Has anyone replaced the disc rotors on a Honda by him/her self?

I've replaced the disk rotors on a Honda Civic 1200.

>Service manuals say a normal person can't remove the hub from the knuckle.
>Also, they say the wheel bearings must be replaced, which means using a
>hydraulic press.  Can I just use a slide hammer to remove the hub,
>replace the disc, and then put the hub back in?

I read the same thing. What I did was remove the whole knuckle and
take it to the dealer. There I bought a new rotor and bearings. They
had a hydraulic press and pressed the hub out for me. As the hub came
out, the bearing broke into pieces and clearly had to be replaced.

I don't know what would happen if you tried a slide hammer. It's
possible if you do it that the bearings would be damaged in a way
which only showed up after you drove on it. You can trade that risk
against the cost of a set of wheel bearings. My dealer did the remove
and replace for free. All I paid for was the cost of the parts.

>The car is a 1980 Accord, suffering from steering wheel vibration,
>probably caused by warped discs, which is common on these cars.

After I replaced the disk, I made sure to always put the wheels on
with a torque wrench and never let anyone else touch them. I have had
no re-occurence of the problem.
--
 Arthur Rudolph believe that technology is morally neutral and so,
therefore, are those who create it.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA