[comp.sys.next] How to kill the logout window?

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/25/90)

This one may have been asked before, but I can't recall an
answer. Is it possible to configure NeXTstep to _NOT_ ask
for that warm, reassuring confirmation when you logout? I
would like to click "logout" in the menu and _know_ I'm
really going to get off without any more of that weenie,
angst-ridden "Are you sure? Are you REALLY sure? I MEAN POSITIVELY
SURE?"

"Okay."

C'mon, I can't believe that NeXT's own programmers really go
through that every time they logout. So how 'bout it? How
do I configure it to go away when _I_ say so?

Enquiring minds want to know.

			- peterd

^X ^I .signature

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
|  a a  |	"From MAILER-DAEMON@hq.demos.su Thu Sep 13 00:45:55 MSD 1990"
 \  a  /
  \___/         The day we made contact....

Look! I can type after the signature!

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/25/90)

In article <2285@opus.cs.mcgill.ca> peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) writes:
>	Is it possible to configure NeXTstep to _NOT_ ask
>for that warm, reassuring confirmation when you logout? I
>would like to click "logout" in the menu and _know_ I'm
>really going to get off without any more of that weenie,
>angst-ridden "Are you sure? Are you REALLY sure? I MEAN POSITIVELY
>SURE?"

Consider that "logout" has the key equivalent Command-q,
and ask yourself that question again.  Suppose the Workspace
just happened to be active when you thought Terminal was
active, and you thought you were quitting out of Terminal
when you hit Command-q.  Would you really want it to log
you out with no confirmation?

I wouldn't.  It's not that hard to click one more confirmation
dialog.

Just my opinion, though.  I don't have the answer to your
question, so I thought I would question your question :-)

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

scott@nic.gac.edu (09/26/90)

   answer. Is it possible to configure NeXTstep to _NOT_ ask
   for that warm, reassuring confirmation when you logout? I
   would like to click "logout" in the menu and _know_ I'm
   really going to get off without any more of that weenie,
   angst-ridden "Are you sure? Are you REALLY sure? I MEAN POSITIVELY
   SURE?"

Thus far under 2.0, both power-off and logout have OK as the default (hit
return) rather than cancel.

Better?  Depends, I guess.

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independant NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/26/90)

In article <9009251720.AA00597@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@nic.gac.edu writes:
>Thus far under 2.0, both power-off and logout have OK as the default (hit
>return) rather than cancel.
>
>Better?  Depends, I guess.

This is a strict adherence to the user interface guidelines, which is
increasingly better in proportion to the number of applications that
follow the convention.

The guidelines stipulate that any "confirm" dialog boxes should always
default to CONTINUING with the action that was initiated.

The fact that you get a confirmation at all is your chance to save
yourself.

I think it's great that the logout panels conform to this guideline,
because I think it's a good guideline.  I took some pains to follow
this rule in my own confirmation panels, too.

Glenn