[comp.sys.next] DMA Channels: Where'd they go?

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/22/90)

Okay, maybe I misunderstand something, or remember something wrong, so
just correct me if I'm wrong.

But didn't there used to be 12 DMA channels on the NeXT Cube???
Now there are only 9!  Only 8 on the slab.  What happened to those 3 DMA
channels?  Where'd they go?  Was something else done to make things work
better?  What's the deal?  I'd think increasing the number of DMA
channels would be what you would want to do, not decrease them.

-k

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/25/90)

In article <5593@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>Okay, maybe I misunderstand something, or remember something wrong, so
>just correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>But didn't there used to be 12 DMA channels on the NeXT Cube???
>Now there are only 9!  Only 8 on the slab.  What happened to those 3 DMA
>channels?

Good question. I guess the difference between the slab and the cube
lies in the missing OD support for the slab. But what happened to the
3 others I can't tell.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/25/90)

In <50950@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>In article <5593@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>>
>>Okay, maybe I misunderstand something, or remember something wrong, so
>>just correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>But didn't there used to be 12 DMA channels on the NeXT Cube???
>>Now there are only 9!  Only 8 on the slab.  What happened to those 3 DMA
>>channels?

>Good question. I guess the difference between the slab and the cube
>lies in the missing OD support for the slab. But what happened to the
>3 others I can't tell.

Hmm, I wonder if it's bad form to answer my own question in a followup
to my message.

One of the guys here suggest that he believed that the missing channels
were due to the fact that the MMU, FPU, and cache which are all on the
040 now.

-k

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/25/90)

>Good question. I guess the difference between the slab and the cube
>lies in the missing OD support for the slab. But what happened to the
>3 others I can't tell.

Good rumor has it that two of these were never used (i.e. they were for things
like memory-to-memory DMA), and two DMAs controlling serial ports were combined
into one (I believe they have redesigned the entire serial interface). As
stated, the slab does not need OD DMA support, so it has one DMA fewer.

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

In article <5606@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>In <50950@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>>In article <5593@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>>>But didn't there used to be 12 DMA channels on the NeXT Cube???
>>>Now there are only 9!  Only 8 on the slab.  What happened to those 3 DMA
>>>channels?

>>But what happened to the 3 others I can't tell.

>One of the guys here suggest that he believed that the missing channels
>were due to the fact that the MMU, FPU, and cache which are all on the
>040 now.

Nope, at least not by any proper definition of "DMA channel".  The cache and
MMU situation is identical for the 68030 and 68040 with the NeXT; in both
cases, you have on-chip cache and MMU.  As for the FPU, the 68882 follows a
private, Motorola defined communication protocol with the 68030; no use for
any DMA channel here.

My uninformed guess would be that NeXT considered each empty expansion bus slot
to be a separate DMA channel from their DMA controller's viewpoint.  Since the
"slab" doesn't have these slots, it would be missing 3 channels.  But that's
really just a guess...

>-k

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

cz@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) (09/26/90)

Ok, here is a list of the old DMA channels (on the 68030 Next)
2 for the Ethernet (1 for sends, 1 for recieves)
1 for the SCSI port
1 for the optical disk
1 for BOTH serial ports (shared)
2 Display's sound (1 for sending, 1 for receiving)
1 for writing the video memory
1 for the DSP
---
10 Dma channels
In addition, there were 2 others that were reserved for memory/memory transfers
for a total of 12. As far as which one of the above 10 were axed, I don't know.

							Chris

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/26/90)

In <14638@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <5606@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>>One of the guys here suggest that he believed that the missing channels
>>were due to the fact that the MMU, FPU, and cache which are all on the
>>040 now.

>My uninformed guess would be that NeXT considered each empty expansion bus slot
>to be a separate DMA channel from their DMA controller's viewpoint.  Since the
>"slab" doesn't have these slots, it would be missing 3 channels.  But that's
>really just a guess...

Well, there are 4 missing in the slab.  Your assumption doesn't hold
much water because there are still 4 expansion slots (well, three, if
you don't count the cpu slot), on the cube still, and yet there are 3
missing DMA channels?

Thanks for trying, but no go.

-k

fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) (09/26/90)

cz@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) writes:

>Ok, here is a list of the old DMA channels (on the 68030 Next)
>2 for the Ethernet (1 for sends, 1 for recieves)
>1 for the SCSI port
>1 for the optical disk
>1 for BOTH serial ports (shared)
>2 Display's sound (1 for sending, 1 for receiving)
>1 for writing the video memory
>1 for the DSP
>---
>10 Dma channels
>In addition, there were 2 others that were reserved for memory/memory transfers
>for a total of 12. As far as which one of the above 10 were axed, I don't know.

>							Chris

You forgot the printer channel. With this your addition is correct.
Did you use a Mac for the sum?

				- Fernando

P.S. Could someone from NeXT enlighten us?