[comp.sys.next] Fwd: IBM To Support NeXTstep Software Environment

dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) (09/21/90)

---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------

From: DowJones
Subject: IBM To Support NeXTstep Software Environment
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 11:48:30 -0400 (EDT)

  WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -DJ- International Business Machines Corp. said
it plans to adopt the new release of NeXT Computer Inc.'s NeXTstep application
software development and user interface environment.

  IBM said in a press release that enhancements in NeXTstep Release 2.0,
including color capabilities, the more powerful Workspace Manager and
expanded European language support, give it broad appeal among IBM customers
and software developers.

  IBM said it has worked with NeXT since 1988, with cooperation that
has included software licensing and patent licensing agreements.

  11:47 AM

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (09/26/90)

dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) writes:

[...stuff deleted...]
>it plans to adopt the new release of NeXT Computer Inc.'s NeXTstep application
>software development and user interface environment.

[...more stuff deleted...]

Yeah, but for which machines?  PS/2s? RS6000s?  This could be GREAT news for
Next, but its pretty meaningless without which machines this encompasses and
to what degree.  Personally, I hope it includes the PS/2 class machines.  It'd
be really nice to see the IBM-Microsoft split develop into a real chasm, thus
(hopefully) breaking up MS-DOS as a standard (I HOPE!!!).

As I say, this could mean some potentially GREAT things for Next.  It doesn't
seem like the full word is out yet, though.

Rick Fanta	PAR Technologies
		"I'd be in real rough shape if I spoke for MY company."