[comp.sys.next] Looking for SCSI disks

cz@ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) (09/21/90)

I just placed my order for the NextStation slab, and now I am looking for an
external SCSI disk to connect to this wonderful new toy. Anyone have any ideas
on prices for 330 and 660 mb drives? Any good used retailers around?
							Chris Zach

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (09/22/90)

In article <10892@life.ai.mit.edu> cz@ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) writes:
>I just placed my order for the NextStation slab, and now I am looking for an
>external SCSI disk to connect to this wonderful new toy. Anyone have any ideas
>on prices for 330 and 660 mb drives? Any good used retailers around?
>							Chris Zach

  This is a good thought.  If is is true that the basic 105Meg slab owners
are licensed to own/use/have the rest of the software that has been stipped
from the system, is is really cheaper to by a 3rd party external.  I read
from other messages that the 340Meg option is ~$1600.   I will have
ethernet access to NeXT machines that will have the full distribution so
it would be east to get the software.  How much would it really cost to
get an external 235Meg of disk to match the 340Meg option?  Is it cheaper?
Can anyone list vendors and approximate prices?

Bill Thorson

#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
echo Bill Thorson                   thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
echo Dept of Atmospheric Science    (303) 491-8339
echo Colorado State University
echo Ft. Collins,  CO  80523        Cray||Sun||Amiga -- I can't decide?
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/22/90)

Here is what I did:

About 2 months ago, I found myself in need of more storage capacity.  Mac and
PC magazines were not good sources for finding dealers in 300-10000MB
harddisks. Instead, workstation magazines (the type that comes in large-size
newspaper format) were a much better source (more vendors, cheaper). The prices
at the time were roughly $1,000-$1,500 for a 300MB harddisk (some of the
vendors went bankrupt, so this is where this large variance comes from), and
roughly $2,400 for a 650MB harddisk.

I chose an external Wren drive, because TheFormatter was available for it from
the standard net sources. Installation was less than 1hour---and believe me I
had no clue about SCSI and disk formats. Having gone through this procedure, I
would highly recommend it even to novices. Saves a lot of $$$.

The Wren disk has been working fine, although it makes a distinct whirring
sound. I should probably investigate printer enclosures to reduce this noise...

Also, I would not use the OD for backup purposes---except in a very low dust
environment. I have had several disks lose information, but I am in a rather
dusty room. I also understand that in cleaner environments, NeXT's ODs are very
reliable (and more so than ODs by other vendors).

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (09/22/90)

In article <10892@life.ai.mit.edu>, cz@ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) says:

>I just placed my order for the NextStation slab, and now I am looking for an
>external SCSI disk to connect to this wonderful new toy. Anyone have any ideas
>on prices for 330 and 660 mb drives? Any good used retailers around?
>                                                        Chris Zach

[Which reminds me] What the heck is that SCSI II connector? Is it
compatible with the SCSI connectors on existing cubes? What about
any SCSI peripherals we may have? The connector on the NeXT motherboard
looks different enough to be a problem.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/22/90)

In <9623@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:

>  This is a good thought.  If is is true that the basic 105Meg slab owners
>are licensed to own/use/have the rest of the software that has been stipped
>from the system, is is really cheaper to by a 3rd party external.  I read
>from other messages that the 340Meg option is ~$1600.   I will have
>ethernet access to NeXT machines that will have the full distribution so
>it would be east to get the software.  How much would it really cost to
>get an external 235Meg of disk to match the 340Meg option?  Is it cheaper?
>Can anyone list vendors and approximate prices?

Well, my roommate is a major Macophile, so you he knows about prices on
hard drives, and I've done some looking myself.  You can get 300+Meg
drives in the $1500-$2000 range easy I do believe.  Just go grab a Mac
magazine, say MacWorld, and start looking.  Or if you really want
selection, buy a copy of Computer Shopper.  It'll take you a day or two
to get thru it all, but you'll have an incredible selection, plan on a
weekend adventure.  Likewise, you can get SIMM memory for much cheaper
than NeXT (gosh, that's really *hard* to imagine).  Do some shopping!
That's what I plan to do.  Now if NeXT will just sell me a bare (no
memory) cpu/color boards, I'll be happy!

-k

clp@wjh12.harvard.edu (Charles L. Perkins) (09/26/90)

Try the Cube Route, advertised in the latest BCS newsletter.

660 MB wren is $2500
1.2 GB wren is $4350

and they guarantee they'll work, do thr formatting, etc.

1-800-CUBE-RTE

						Charles

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/26/90)

In article <556@wjh12.harvard.edu>, clp@wjh12.harvard.edu (Charles L. Perkins) writes:
|> Try the Cube Route, advertised in the latest BCS newsletter.
|>
|> 660 MB wren is $2500
|> 1.2 GB wren is $4350
|>
|> and they guarantee they'll work, do thr formatting, etc.
|>
|> 1-800-CUBE-RTE

Just a minor point - according to the glossy ad, the new models feature
SCSI-2. Someone once told me this was enough different from the original
SCSI to cause problems mixing the two. Can someone who actually knows follow
up?

--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

keithp@xerxes.tamu.edu (Keith D Perkins) (09/26/90)

>Just a minor point - according to the glossy ad, the new models feature
>SCSI-2. Someone once told me this was enough different from the original
>SCSI to cause problems mixing the two. Can someone who actually knows follow
>up?

Any SCSI-1 devices can be used on the new NeXTs; a different cable
is all you need.

Keith Perkins
Texas A&M University