[net.auto] Skoda cars.

pgtrubey@watrose.UUCP (Phil Trubey) (09/22/85)

I recently come across dealership ads selling Skoda cars
for $5895 ("commuter" model (whatever that is) for $4995).

These are CHEAP prices for new cars up here (Waterloo, Canada).

I'm wondering why they are so cheap.  Has anyone had any
experience with them?  Are they inexpensive because of
lack of features, workmanship, reliability, or are they just
a good deal?

Thanks,
--

                         Phil Trubey
                         University of Waterloo

UUCP: pgtrubey@watrose
CSNET: pgtrubey%watrose@waterloo.CSNET
ARPA: pgtrubey%watrose%waterloo@csnet-relay.CSNET
BITNET: pgtrubey%watrose%waterloo@csnet-relay.ARPA

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (09/23/85)

> I recently come across dealership ads selling Skoda cars
> for $5895 ("commuter" model (whatever that is) for $4995).
>
> These are CHEAP prices for new cars up here (Waterloo, Canada).
>
> I'm wondering why they are so cheap.  Has anyone had any
> experience with them?  Are they inexpensive because of
> lack of features, workmanship, reliability, or are they just
> a good deal?
>
> Thanks,
> --
>
>                          Phil Trubey
>                          University of Waterloo
>
> UUCP: pgtrubey@watrose
> CSNET: pgtrubey%watrose@waterloo.CSNET
> ARPA: pgtrubey%watrose%waterloo@csnet-relay.CSNET
> BITNET: pgtrubey%watrose%waterloo@csnet-relay.ARPA

A wild and crazy car from Czechoslovakia. I'd stay away.

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T  HO 3D-534, (201)949-0366, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) (09/23/85)

> I recently come across dealership ads selling Skoda cars
> for $5895 ("commuter" model (whatever that is) for $4995).
>
> These are CHEAP prices for new cars up here (Waterloo, Canada).
>
> I'm wondering why they are so cheap.  Has anyone had any
> experience with them?  Are they inexpensive because of
> lack of features, workmanship, reliability, or are they just
> a good deal?

 ANSWER - yes,yes,yes & maybe . Skodas are notoriously noisy cars,
ancient design ( the LADA is full of innovations compared to the
Skoda). Beware of the allure of their sporty model (110R or R110
I forget which) as the vibration and genearl noise will have you
believing that you're doing 100+ when I suspect that 50-60 is the
top speed that the car is stable at on other that a perfect road
surface. I nearly bought one in 1974 (the designs haven't changed
that I can see) and I haven't regretted the decision. I bought an
MG Midget instead.

> Thanks,
> --
>
>                          Phil Trubey
>                          University of Waterloo

  You're welcome ! Definately take a test drive , this alone will
tell you whether you can live with the ,ahem, features of rock hard
suspension travel etc for the relative economy of purchase.

  On the flip side I haven't heard any bad comments about reliability,
they appear to keep on chugging.

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (09/24/85)

In article <7546@watrose.UUCP> pgtrubey@watrose.UUCP (Phil Trubey) writes:

>I recently come across dealership ads selling Skoda cars
>for $5895 ("commuter" model (whatever that is) for $4995).
>
>These are CHEAP prices for new cars up here (Waterloo, Canada).
>
>I'm wondering why they are so cheap.  Has anyone had any
>experience with them?  Are they inexpensive because of
>lack of features, workmanship, reliability, or are they just
>a good deal?

The Skoda is a Czechoslovakian car that was briefly sold in the
US about 20-25 years ago. It was nearly impossible to get replacement
parts which they required a lot of. The paint and interior deteriorated
rapidly and they were generally a cut below anything else offered on the
market at that time. I would hope they have gotten their act together in
the intervening years, but I would be very reluctant to invest in one of
these cars when you could buy a good used car for the same price that
would provide good transportation, have a ready source of replacement
parts and could be repaired by any competent mechanic.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (09/30/85)

> I recently come across dealership ads selling Skoda cars
> for $5895 ("commuter" model (whatever that is) for $4995).
> I'm wondering why they are so cheap.  Has anyone had any
> experience with them?  Are they inexpensive because of
> lack of features, workmanship, reliability, or are they just
> a good deal?
>                          Phil Trubey
>                          University of Waterloo

Skoda cars are cheap for a couple of reasons.  First, they are built in
Czechoslavokia, where labor is very cheap by Western standards.  Second,
they are rather nasty in design and workmanship.  The Skoda is a
rear-engined sedan (sort of like a Corvair), with swing axle rear
suspension.  This makes for some rather wild handling, with very sudden
oversteer at, or near, the limit.  "Car" magazine from England rated the
Skoda as possibly the worst new car in Britian up until about a year
ago.  They've improved the rating a bit since then, but it still isn't
rated as a decent car.  So, essentially, you get what you pay for.
--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues