[comp.sys.next] Getting an internall floppy for an old cube

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/25/90)

Is there any way to add an internal floppy drive to an old cube?  (I can
move my Maxtor to another enclosure, so space is not a problem.)

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (09/25/90)

  I cannot find *any* reference in official NeXT literature about
the internal floppy being available.  The price list does not give
a separate part number for the 2.88 Mb drive.  PLI does not offer
an internal version of the SuperFloppy 2.8.  So. . . it looks like
you have to go with the external floppy drive for now.  At least
that's all I can find now.  Anybody from NeXT care to comment on
future availability of internal floppy drives?  We have a NeXT
server which we built from one of the old network system machines
(came with board + 40 meg swap drive) by adding a WREN VI drive.
It has no optical, so it would be nice to have the floppy drive
internal.

-Bill-

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/27/90)

I called NeXT and asked and they said there was no upgrade path to an
internal floppy.  They (he) claimed that it was too much trouble for
installation.  I suspect the real hassle is what to do with the old
330M full height, since you need a half height to make room for the
floppy.  Would NeXT replace it?  Would you just pay for a new drive?
etc.

It would be nice if you could get an internal one since it should be
cheaper, but that savings would likely be offset by the cost of doing
something about the full-height hard disk.

The external drive is fine by me, except that it seems a bit overpriced
($499 and you have to spend another $50 on a cable!), and I am a little
reluctant to get one from an independant company ever since I bought
a CubeFloppy 1.4 and sent it back after being rather disappointed.  How
do we know that the external will work just as well as the official
is, or are they rolling their own?

If NeXT or PLI people are listening, a few answers might be nice.  NeXT
in general has seemed rather silent on the net, at a rather crucial time
for the survival of NeXT.  I'd expect a little more participation than
this.  After all, isn't comp.sys.next a prime example of "Interpersonal
Computing"?

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.215608.23901@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>reluctant to get one from an independant company ever since I bought
>a CubeFloppy 1.4 and sent it back after being rather disappointed.

Care to give us a review, or your reasons for disappointment?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math