[comp.sys.next] 3.5 OD solution

acs020@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (acs020) (09/24/90)

Pinnacle Micro, has released a new 3.5 inch erasable optical disk drive.
The REO-130 is a SCSI device with a *28* ms seek time; each holds *128*
megs. List cost is $3000 for the drive & $130 for each disk.

This would be the perfect solution for the NeXT.

Hey Steve, the address is: Pinnacle Micro, 15265 Alton Pkwy., Irvine, CA
                                           92718; (714) 727-3300.

absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu (Daniel Faken) (09/25/90)

 acs020@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (acs020) writes...

  >Pinnacle Micro, has released a new 3.5 inch erasable optical disk drive.
  >The REO-130 is a SCSI device with a *28* ms seek time; each holds *128*
  >megs. List cost is $3000 for the drive & $130 for each disk.

  >This would be the perfect solution for the NeXT.

Isn't this a bit steep when we're currently about to pay (or so rumor holds)
about the same price for something with half the storage? (or, according to
further rumor, one quarter the storage) I don't recall the optical option
being $3000 either..

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (09/28/90)

In article <2378@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> ncho@gmuvax2.UUCP ( ) writes:
>Pinnacle Micro, has released a new 3.5 inch erasable optical disk drive.
>The REO-130 is a SCSI device with a *28* ms seek time; each holds *128*
>megs. List cost is $3000 for the drive & $130 for each disk.
>
>This would be the perfect solution for the NeXT.
>
>Hey Steve, the address is: Pinnacle Micro, 15265 Alton Pkwy., Irvine, CA
>                                           92718; (714) 727-3300.

This is the Nakamichi mechanism.  Nakamichi claims that they can/will
derive media of significantly higher density, should a need be manifest.
Numbers as high as the 1GB range were mentioned.  The unit is produced
by MOST (Mass Optical Storage Technologies) of Cypress, Ca., and is
a part of Nakamichi Peripherals Corp., a subsidary of Nakamichi USA.
The unit is called the RMD-5100-S.

According to a report in EE Times (issue 609), a low-mass optical head
system allows access times of *35-ms* (although localized access is,
of course, faster).

Another unit of Nakamichi Peripherals called Ocean Microsystems has
previewed the drive as a SCSI peripheral on the Macintosh at MacWorld
and Comdex.  Note, however, that production quantities of the drives
are not expected until the winter, and the form factor is 5.25 inches.
The MTBF is projected at 30,000 hours, and an EEPROM allows customization
of the SCSI interface.

Blank media is expected to cost under $120, with delivery to OEMs of
drives for about $1000 in quantity.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.