[net.followup] Viral infections: Really CBW

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/14/85)

>	Various governments (the U.S. included) have been quietly but seriously
>investigating the creation of *racially-specific* microorganisms, including
>viruses which will affect only persons of a specific race.  I am certain that
>all of you have heard of racially-specific diseases such as sickle cell
>anemia, Tay-Sachs disease, etc.  Think about this a minute...

Frightening.  Read on...

>	I am certain that a number of people will ask: Why is the *U. S.*
>conducting research in the CBW area?  Why has Congress recently approved a
>program to manufacture a binary [not the digital kind...] 'nerve gas' weapon?
>The answer, as far as I am concerned, is a parallel to the atomic weapon
>situation: The U. S. is caught between a rock and a hard place. It must conduct
>research to develop effective [if possible] countermeasures.  Why should the
>U.S. *produce* any CBW weapons?  As a deterrent in the same manner as the
>continuing production of atomic weapons.  Does this really work as a deterrent?
>Who knows?

Apparently, the reason claimed by the military for the development of
CBW weapons is *defensive*, so that we know how to defend ourselves if
we are ever attacked.  To do this, we must develope these agents.  So
we fund research into new chemical/bacteriological weapons.

>|	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

Yes.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (08/14/85)

The author of the original article shows his paranoia, ignorance,
and lack of credibility when he talks about "racial specific diseases."
In particular, he mentioned sickle cell anemia and Tay-Sachs.  Neither
of these is racial specific, although they are concentrated among certain
ethnic groups.  Sickle cell anemia is occasionally found in non-blacks.
Tay-Sachs is sometimes found among non-Jews, particularly in eastern
Europeans.  (I will not address the blatently anti-Semitic implied remark
about Jews being a race rather than an ethnic group or religion.  I will
assume it was inadvertent.)  In particular, the chance of a non-Jew of eastern
European heritage being a Tay-Sachs carrier is about one in five hundred.

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (08/19/85)

In article <593@hou2b.UUCP> halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) writes:
>The author of the original article shows his paranoia, ignorance,
>and lack of credibility when he talks about "racial specific diseases."
>In particular, he mentioned sickle cell anemia and Tay-Sachs.  Neither
>of these is racial specific, although they are concentrated among certain
>ethnic groups.  Sickle cell anemia is occasionally found in non-blacks.
>Tay-Sachs is sometimes found among non-Jews, particularly in eastern
>Europeans.  (I will not address the blatently anti-Semitic implied remark
>about Jews being a race rather than an ethnic group or religion.  I will
>assume it was inadvertent.)  In particular, the chance of a non-Jew of eastern
>European heritage being a Tay-Sachs carrier is about one in five hundred.

I`m sorry, folks, but I really gotta reply to this; it`s something
I really get tired of hearing.  Look, if you want to talk about just
about anything, and you want to be able to make any statement at all,
you have to make generalizations.  Of course, non-blacks can sickle,
but if you are going to talk about sickle cell disease, especially
sickle cell disease in the US, then you generalize to blacks.

When you talk about breast cancer, you at least implicity are talking
about women (though of course, rare men get breast cancer too).  When
you talk about women, you talk about people with XX chromosomes (though
of course, there are women with XY chromosomes - even without
surgery due to  testicular feminization).  Whenever I make a statement
about women, I don`t add the disclaimer "And, you know, by a woman I
mean a person of XX genotype, though I don`t want to offend those
of XY genotype who might be reading or listening to this.  I would
not like to imply that all I am about to say should, or could, apply
to every woman in the world when I speak of an XX genotype, and
I hope that no one will assume I am making any sweeping generalizations
about gender identity here."

The bottom line is that if a person is cut down for making any
generalization, then it is simply impossible to make any statement
about anything. All statements are statements of probability, and
few statements can boast 100%.

It is neither ignorance nor paranoia to make such statements. It only
means that the speaker assumes that the listener has some basic
critical faculties.

It is a revelation to me to find that referring to Semitic peoples
as a "race" is anti-Semitic.  I think I see a chip on a
shoulder here.  The word race is by no means a perjorative
in and of itself. I happen to belong to a number of them, and they
are all fun when it comes time to party.

Bill Oliver -

Your basic (in order of appearance)
Oklahoman-Irish-Cherokee-Welsh-Chickasaw-Seminole-Black-French,
you know, U.S. of American.

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (08/20/85)

Re  Tay-Sachs...
Virtually all Tay-Sachs births in the US today are to non-Jewish
parents.  (Statistic from the Tay-Sachs Research Center, or whatever
it's called.)  Why?  Those at highest risk get screening, so they
do not conceive a potential TS baby.  Those at lower risk do not
worry themselves about it, so do not get screened.  In about a
generation or so, expect Tay-Sachs to be essentially erradicated
among Jews, but prevalent among others.

Re  Jewish "race" being anti-Semitic
In virtually all cases where someone refers specifically to the
Jewish RACE, the context is blatently anti-Semitic.  There are
other ways to refer to the ethnic group without displaying
bigotry: religion, people, heritage,...  Using the word "race,"
which is absolutely incorrect, recalls 1930s Germany.
As I originally stated, I did not feel that the poster meant
anything by the remark, but used it inadvertantly.  His use was
somewhat akin to using "guys and girls" instead of "guys and gals,"
a minor faux pas that some people resent.  I must point
out, though, that many Jewish people would react to that choice of
words as a strong ethnic slur.  So please be careful.

avi@pegasus.UUCP (Avi E. Gross) (08/22/85)

In article <597@hou2b.UUCP> halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) writes:
>Re  Tay-Sachs...
>Virtually all Tay-Sachs births in the US today are to non-Jewish
>parents.  (Statistic from the Tay-Sachs Research Center, or whatever
>it's called.)  Why?  Those at highest risk get screening, so they
>do not conceive a potential TS baby.  Those at lower risk do not
>worry themselves about it, so do not get screened.  In about a
>generation or so, expect Tay-Sachs to be essentially erradicated
>among Jews, but prevalent among others.

I agree with the rest of the article, but there is an error in the above
submission. The frequency of the Tay-Sachs gene (you need two copies of the
defective gene to have the illness, one to be a carrier) is likely to stay
at almost the same levels in all populations. Roughly one in 30 Ashkenazic
Jews and one in 300 Sephardi Jews (a genetically distinct group for many
centuries) and one in 300 non-jews bears a single defective copy of the
gene. No live person beyond the age of five bears two copies.

One of 900 random marriages between Orthodox Ashkenazic Jews has the
potential of producing a child with Tay-Sachs. Of every four children, one
will not carry the gene, two will be carriers, and the fourth one is born
with a death sentence. 58 of the remaining marriages will have one partner
who is a carrier, and half of their children will be carriers. The other 941
marriages will produce non-carriers only.

I had myself tested years ago, and know I am not a carrier. Therefore, my
wife did not need to be tested, and no test for Tay-Sachs was done when the
amniocentesis was done on my daughter, Samantha. If a couple at risk chooses
amniocentesis, they can abort -- but this does not do anything to the number
of people who have Tay-Sachs in their genes, since the child would have died
without passing the gene on. Only if they choose not to have children in the
first place, will they avoid passing it on.

If the couple does not believe in abortion (as many do), then they are not
likely to bother with testing, and again the genetic distribution in the
population is not affected. I suspect that J.Halle meant that the number of
Jewish-born Tay-Sachs children would approach zero -- not that the gene
would disappear. Now that some of the closely-knit conditions in the
European Shtetl have largely disappeared, more marriages are with Sephardic
Jews (several of my cousins) and non-jews (several other cousins).
Paradoxically, this could actually increase the frequency of the gene, since
fewer marriages would have a chance of wasting the gene on someone who will
die!

I didn't mean to belabor the point, but there are literally hundreds of
well-studied genetic diseases that are localized to inbred-populations that
happen to be limited to Ashkenazic or Sephardic Jews or both. It is a
fascinating topic (from a biochemical/medical) view as well and one of the
few things I paid any attention to in medical school. I apologize for
getting a bit pedantic about it.

One interesting sidelight is that Jews (as a whole) can be shown genetically
to be quite diverse, and not a "race". I am still puzzled how anybody can
refer to orientals, blacks and others as being of a different "race", when
we can clearly interbreed. Perhaps they would just prefer that we didn't! I
wonder if some of the creationists in net.originds would now jump in and
tell me that actually orientals and blacks are just different "kinds" :-)
--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6241
 suggested paths: [ihnp4, allegra, cbosg, ahuta, ...]!pegasus!avi