[comp.sys.next] Disk and memory questions

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (09/21/90)

In article <9484@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@huey.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:
>	How many drive bays are there in a slab?  Can I add an additional
>3.5" hard drive?
>	And what if I crash my hard disk?  Is it possible to boot from
>floppy?  I heard someone mention that the system is available on

...and can third party hard drives be added?  And are they SCSI?  And what
about more memory--where can you get it and how much will it cost?

Ken Warner

cz@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Christopher R Zach) (09/22/90)

In article <428@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
>In article <9484@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@huey.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:
>>	How many drive bays are there in a slab?  Can I add an additional
>>3.5" hard drive?
One 3.5 inch bay of a sort. You can put a drive on the outside, if the drive
is a SCSI OR SCSI2 drive. Of course, you would need a seperate case and ps..

>>	And what if I crash my hard disk?  Is it possible to boot from
>>floppy?  I heard someone mention that the system is available on
This is a good question. I always worry about killing valuable stuff, and
backing up a 330+ mg drive to floppies is not my idea of fun :-).

							Chris

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/22/90)

In <428@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:

>In article <9484@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@huey.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:
>>	How many drive bays are there in a slab?  Can I add an additional
>>3.5" hard drive?
>>	And what if I crash my hard disk?  Is it possible to boot from
>>floppy?  I heard someone mention that the system is available on

>...and can third party hard drives be added?  And are they SCSI?  And what
>about more memory--where can you get it and how much will it cost?

(I just love having the brochure/tech specs right in front of me)

1) There is one floppy drive bay located on the side like Sun
Sparcstations.  There is one hard drive 'bay'.  You have your choice of
105/340 Meg drive.  I'd get the 340 if I were you.  You might be able to
rig up a second harddrive where the floppy drive is, but there isn't any
room elsewhere.

2) You can add additional drives up the wazoo (well, maybe not that
many) thru the SCSI port.  Both floppy, and harddrives are available
that you can plug into the SCSI port.

3) Boot from floppy?  hahahaha!  No offense, but it'd probably take you
longer for you to boot from a floppy, than it would take you to go find
another hard drive and install it!  And the disk swapping!!!!  Don't
even consider it!  Not unless you are a glutton for punishment.

4) The only way you can add third-party hard drives is thru the SCSI
port.  And, yes, there are lots of third-party SCSI drives!  Go look in
a Mac magazine, you can get great prices on em.  The ones in the NeXT
are Quantum drives, if the picture of the internals of the slab are
accurate.  There are maybe 'other' ways to add drives, but why would you
want to do it any other way?  Except maybe as a network.

5) Memory: There was a post from a guy in misc.forsale.computers saying
that he'd seen 1 Meg 80ns SIMMs for < $50.  4 Meg SIMMs I'd imagine are
at least 4 times that (~200).  Again, look in any Mac magazine, and go
buy there!  If you buy from NeXT, be prepared to pay the price.

Any of the Mac magazines (MacWorld is good) will have a LOT of companies
selling stuff at great prices.  Check em out.  The price is almost
assuredly going to be a LOT better.

-Cubite (wanna be) K

gooley@aquinas.csl.uiuc.edu (Mark. Gooley) (09/22/90)

What kind of SIMMs does a new NeXT take, anyway?  Mac SIMMs (8-bit)?  IBM-
clone SIMMs (9-bit)?  Some godawful obscure SIMMs that are available only
from the company (unless you want to cobble up your own from the available
varieties?  1M or 4M or what?

Mark., lusting after a fast Unix machine of his very own
gooley@rhea.csl.uiuc.edu

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (09/22/90)

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
>drives. . .memory
You can add several external drives through the SCSI2 port.  These may
be third party drives, essentially anything that works on the Macintosh
will work here with the right cable.  We have been putting WREN VI
drives in our cubes, and these will work in the new or upgraded cubes
too.  They can also be plugged into the NeXTstations (but not inside-
they won't fit).  As far as memory goes, there are two options:
Parity or non parity simms depending on whether you order the parity
option or not.  In any case, the simms you would use in a Mac II will
work in the new NeXT's provided they are 100ns or faster.  You can get
these from any of the usual sources, such as chip merchant.  Look in
the purdue archives for "simms" for a recent list of sources and prices.
The low on educational prices is about $43.00 for 1 meg non-parity simms
and about $230.00 for 4 meg non-parity simms as of this week.
Either will work provided they are 100ns or faster.
 You must install simms in size groups of 4
on the main board of the any NeXT.  So its no good buying one or two
4 meg simms. You need 4.  The NeXTstations have 8 slots for main
memory, and on the color version you need 12 meg to get decent performance.
The NeXTcubes have 16 slots for main memory.  The NeXTdimension board
has 8 slots for its own memory.  You can't get one til next year though.
The video memory is another story I won't go into here. In any case, NeXT
charges about three times the market price for its simms and drives, so
depending on your organizations requirements, its much cheaper to buy these
items third-party and install them yourself.  If you buy 4 meg simms for a
cube, its a bit of a hassle to get them to work because most of them are
tall for the space available.  Best thing to do is specify the Toshiba
4 meg simms with the vertically mounted chips.  These fit just fine and are
only a little taller than the 1 meg simms.  I believe the somewhat taller
(still called "low profile") 4 meg simms (horizontally mounted chips)
work fine in the NeXTstations.  As I said, putting these taller 4 meg simms
in the NeXTcubes is a bit of a hassel with several ways to go.  The easiest
method is to just slide the system board and drive cases into the cube at
the same time-replacing the front hard drive mount screw with a flat head
instead of a round head screw.  I have 40 meg in my cube doing it this way.
If you want 64 meg, its best to use the Toshiba's.  That enough???
-Bill-

In <1990Sep21.193734.19067@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gooley@aquinas.csl.uiuc.edu (Mark. Gooley) writes:

>What kind of SIMMs does a new NeXT take, anyway?  Mac SIMMs (8-bit)?  IBM-
>clone SIMMs (9-bit)?  Some godawful obscure SIMMs that are available only
>from the company (unless you want to cobble up your own from the available
>varieties?  1M or 4M or what?

The NeXTstation uses SRAM SIMMs, the NeXTcube uses DRAM SIMMs.  Both are
for 8-bit types, although an earlier poster said that parity (9bit) type
could be used/supported or something.  S = Static, D = Dynamic?  Not
really sure, but that's what the specs I have say.

>Mark., lusting after a fast Unix machine of his very own

Ditto!

-k

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep21.193734.19067@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gooley%aquinas@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark. Gooley) writes:
>What kind of SIMMs does a new NeXT take, anyway?  Mac SIMMs (8-bit)?  IBM-
>clone SIMMs (9-bit)?  Some godawful obscure SIMMs that are available only
>from the company (unless you want to cobble up your own from the available
>varieties?  1M or 4M or what?

You can use either 9 or 8 bit SIMMs with the NeXT, however not
intermixed. If you use 9 bits you should be able to have parity check
running on your system. The advantage you have with parity check is
that you know when your data has been corrupted in computer memory.

The access time should be as far as I know 100ns or faster. I'd
recommend to buy 80ns or faster chips, so chances are you can use them
for a while. The price difference is small anyway.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet