[comp.sys.next] Buy a new NeXT?

fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) (09/21/90)

I am considering to buy a new NeXT. I am interested in the extended
distribution of software. This can be done if I get the 340 MB hard
drive or the 105 MB hard drive plus the optical disk. How unreliable
is the optical disk? What is the drive's mean time between failure?
How permanent is the information stored on the optical disks? How
good a backup medium is the OD?
     I've heard that the academic discounted price for the basic slab
is on the order of $3300. How much more expensive is the same system
in a cube?
    Muchas gracias in advance.
                                  -Fernando J. Selman

P.S. Can the cube hold the 105 MB drive, the 2.88 MB floppy and the
     optical disk?

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep21.095055.25336@nntp-server.caltech.edu> fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:
>P.S. Can the cube hold the 105 MB drive, the 2.88 MB floppy and the
>     optical disk?
Yes, it could also hold the 340Mb, 2.88Flop and OD.
There is space for one full height 5 1/4" drive and two 1/2 height
3.5" drives in the cube. There is no way of using an OD with the
NeXTstation.

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

dmwr@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Theme From Shaft) (09/25/90)

As long as people are talking about these new NeXT machines...does
anyone know of any music software groups that are planning to port
their program to the NeXT?  I had heard that MOTU (Mark of the
Unicorn) were thinking of it, but I haven't heard a word ever again?

Any rumors out there?

Damian

    /----------------------------------------------------------------/
   / Damian Roskill               /  Specular International, Inc.   /
  / dmwr@gnu.ai.mit.edu          /  Makers of Infini-D             /
 / my opinions are my own....   / "Party for your right to fight" /
/----------------------------------------------------------------/

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (09/25/90)

  MusicProse from Coda Music Software will be available first quarter
of next year.  According to the product cat. it
1. supports up to 32 staves of music with automatic part extraction.
2. supports real-time MIDI input and playback
3. automatic alignment of lyrics and chords with note heads
4. "powerful" page layout control (total control over measures&staves)
5. Creats PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript files (can be imported
to FrameMaker, etc.)
6. Transcribes MIDI files into notation (Imports standard MIDI sequencer
files from any platform and converts them into standard music notation)

Price is listed as $399.00

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (09/25/90)

dmwr@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Theme From Shaft) writes:

>As long as people are talking about these new NeXT machines...does
>anyone know of any music software groups that are planning to port
>their program to the NeXT?  I had heard that MOTU (Mark of the
>Unicorn) were thinking of it, but I haven't heard a word ever again?

>Any rumors out there?

A list of developers posted a couple weeks before the 18th included
Coda, makers of Finale/MusicProse.  Can someone who has the new
product catalog report the state of any software from Coda?

Eric

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
(812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/29/90)

In article <isaacso.654266568@copper>, isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
|> A list of developers posted a couple weeks before the 18th included
|> Coda, makers of Finale/MusicProse.  Can someone who has the new
|> product catalog report the state of any software from Coda?

The product is listed in the catalog. Availabilty 1Q 1991