[comp.sys.next] NeXTdimension board - multiple heads on a cube?

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (09/20/90)

Important question (to me anyway): When a NeXTcube is eqipped with a
NeXTdimension color board, can both the grayscale and color displays
be used at the same time?  If so, then does the NeXTstep window server
do clipping at a low level so that one can drag windows from one display
to the other?

The press release says "to take advantage of NeXT's sound
capabilities, NeXTdimension users need a Sound Box, a unit that
integrates a speaker, a microphone, headphone jacks and RCA-style
stereo output, plus keyboard and mouse interfaces."  That implies that
the user of the NeXTdimension color board (in a NeXTcube) uses only
the color display and not the keyboard and mouse and Megapixel
(grayscale) display that come with the NeXTcube.  I would really like
to see support for multiple displays per single user the way Macintosh
systems support multiple displays.  That would give NeXTstep/DPS
another big technical advantage over the X Window System.  (When X is
used on multiple displays, e.g. on Suns, HPs and IBMs, the mouse
cursor can be moved from one display to another, but windows cannot
span multiple displays.)  The PostScript interface should make this
coordination even smoother than QuickDraw.  (Can more than one
NeXTdimension board be used in a NeXTcube?)

Gary

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (09/20/90)

In article <CRUM.90Sep19101315@alicudi.usc.edu> crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>Important question (to me anyway): When a NeXTcube is eqipped with a
>NeXTdimension color board, can both the grayscale and color displays
>be used at the same time?  If so, then does the NeXTstep window server
>do clipping at a low level so that one can drag windows from one display
>to the other?

This question came up earlier today at a NeXT demo at UT Austin
on 09/19/90.  According to the NeXT rep, both the color and the
non-color displays can be used at the same time.  In fact, they
can be set up to be part of the same "desktop" - that is, you
can drag a window between displays.  You can even configure the
displays to act as if they were physically beside each other
or above/below one another.

>(Can more than one NeXTdimension board be used in a NeXTcube?)

The NeXT rep. didn't say for certain but did imply that this
might be available in the future.
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (09/20/90)

In article <CRUM.90Sep19101315@alicudi.usc.edu> crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:

>The press release says "to take advantage of NeXT's sound
>capabilities, NeXTdimension users need a Sound Box, a unit that
>integrates a speaker, a microphone, headphone jacks and RCA-style
>stereo output, plus keyboard and mouse interfaces."

My understanding is that the NeXTdimension board supports other
monitors besides NeXT's Sony color monitor.  So if you had 19" monitor
you wanted to use, you could.  In order to support other displays,
NeXT kept the keyboard, sound, etc. inputs off the wires. This is why
a Sound Box is needed; otherwise NeXT could have just brought
everything over the monitor cable as before.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/20/90)

In article <CRUM.90Sep19101315@alicudi.usc.edu> crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>Important question (to me anyway): When a NeXTcube is eqipped with a
>NeXTdimension color board, can both the grayscale and color displays
>be used at the same time?  If so, then does the NeXTstep window server
>do clipping at a low level so that one can drag windows from one display
>to the other?

Yes.

In fact, you can have a window that is half on one screen and half on
the other, and it's 2-bit grayscale on one side and color on the other.

There is even a little tool in Preferences that lets you decide what
the spacial relationship is between the two monitors (i.e. is the color
monitor to the left, to the right, or sitting above the grayscale
monitor?)

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) (09/20/90)

In article <CRUM.90Sep19101315@alicudi.usc.edu> crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>Important question (to me anyway): When a NeXTcube is eqipped with a
>NeXTdimension color board, can both the grayscale and color displays
>be used at the same time?  If so, then does the NeXTstep window server
>do clipping at a low level so that one can drag windows from one display
>to the other?

Better than that, I'd like to know if more the new 68040 board can
coexist with the already good 68030 in the old cube.  It seems that
multiple processors in a NeXT would be a reasonable thing to do
since the underlying OS is MACH, which is expressly designed for
distributed processing (and also causes the NeXT to take a performance
hit over the standard UNIX kernel model).

>Gary

|  --Lee                                                                 |
|                        Dave Haynie is Bob!                             |
|  hunt@spot.colorado.edu                ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt      |

wisdom@nano.cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) (09/20/90)

Gary Writes:
>Important question (to me anyway): When a NeXTcube is eqipped with a
>NeXTdimension color board, can both the grayscale and color displays
>be used at the same time?  If so, then does the NeXTstep window server
>do clipping at a low level so that one can drag windows from one display
>to the other?

Yes.. I played with a NeXTdimension with an additional grayscale monitor and was not surprised to find out they work together as one workspace. I dragged 32 bit photographic quality images from the color monitor to the grayscale monitor seamlessly (Wow! what a difference!). The windows on the color side are being handled by the i860, so dragging them is about as fast as dragging on the grayscale side. This is truly amazing - moving multi megabyte images around the screen at the same speed as an '030 graysc

ale cube would move it's two bit windows!!

What's also amazing is that a live video window can be moved around with no problem, and other windows can be PLACED ON TOP of the video window with full clipping - all while the video is chugging away - with no real degradation to the performance of the rest of the system. While you're watching the video, you can be running other applications on the color display at full blast (or near full blast - I didn't get a chance to really test this one, but it looks REALLY good!).

Gary Writes:
>The press release says "to take advantage of NeXT's sound
>capabilities, NeXTdimension users need a Sound Box, a unit that
>integrates a speaker, a microphone, headphone jacks and RCA-style
>stereo output, <etc., etc., etc.>
The sony color monitors do not come with speakers, keyboard connectors, etc. like the grayscale monitors do. If you have a color only display, the 'Sound Box' is what's used to provide this functionality. If you have a grayscale monitor as well, you don't have a need for this box.

Gary Writes:
>Can more than one NeXTdimension board be used in a NeXTcube?
Hmm. Good question.

One side note: the '040 machines are NICE. They are quick and responsive. Programs compile much faster, and DPS seems to be MUCH MUCH faster. I can't
wait to upgrade my cube (which suddenly seems oh so slow).

With 15,000 orders already taken, In addition to all the great technology they have introduced, NeXT is finally getting the serious momentum it deserves. 15,000 orders before the new system is even publicaly announced is a HUGE message of support that cannot be ignored by anyone.

- Scott Wisdom
Coda Music Software hacker (more now than ever)
wisdom@heckle.cs.umn.edu

markad@blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) (09/20/90)

Yes it will support both mono and color 'heads' at the same time (according
to our local NeXT folks). And you can have them side by side and drag
a window from one to the other. The little box which they mentioned
is only needed if you dont have one of their monitors - ie you get
the color system with a third party monitor.

Hope it helps
Mark

clp@wjh12.harvard.edu (Charles L. Perkins) (09/24/90)

I asked someone "high up" in the NeXT hardware group, and they mentioned
 that you can have 4 (four!) display, a MegaPixel B&W and 3 NeXTdimension
 boards.

The Preference Panel allows monitors in a 3 x 3 array, so four is no problem.

								  Charles

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (09/24/90)

In article <550@wjh12.harvard.edu> clp@wjh12.UUCP (Charles L. Perkins) writes:
>I asked someone "high up" in the NeXT hardware group, and they mentioned
> that you can have 4 (four!) display, a MegaPixel B&W and 3 NeXTdimension
> boards.
>
>The Preference Panel allows monitors in a 3 x 3 array, so four is no problem.

Can these NeXTdimensions boards synchronize H and V scans among
themselves?
(presumably by having one board serving as H & V sync master and
others as slaves).

How about LUTs (Color lookup tables)?  Do they exists on NeXTdimension
boards?

Someone mentioned that DPS will not directly allow manipulations of
LUTs, but whether the LUTs hardware exists or not is another question.

Is there a technical documentation which describe these things?

Also, someone was talking about the possility of using 3-rd party
Color Monitors instead of NeXT Color Megapixel display.
I suppose you could you a standard 64kHz (H) RGB monitors, but
you will probably have to retune the V-hold because the NeXT displays
operate at 68Hz frame rate, while most of other monitors are
tuned for  60Hz frame rate.  It's an easy adjustment, but
in most cases, you will have to open the case of the monitors.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.084343.3794@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>How about LUTs (Color lookup tables)?  Do they exists on NeXTdimension
>boards?

Can you tell me what colors you want to look up that 24-bit color does
not bring to a screen directly without a look-up?

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (09/25/90)

In article <50958@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <1990Sep24.084343.3794@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>>How about LUTs (Color lookup tables)?  Do they exists on NeXTdimension
>>boards?
>
>Can you tell me what colors you want to look up that 24-bit color does
>not bring to a screen directly without a look-up?

There are uses for LUTs even for 24-bit color systems.  I suspect
that most people associate LUT as a workaround to produce
reasonable looking color image with 8-bit 256 color systems.
That's not entirely correct.

One thing LUT makes it easy is to do accurate color calibration
to compensate for variations of RGB guns in the display and
D/A converter gain imbalances.  Any system boasting "true color"
capability should be able to calibrate color accurately if the
user wants to do it.  I think Display PostScript is the wrong
place to do this.

Another thing LUT allows is LUT animation, the kind you might see
in weather forecasts on TV where, e.g., jet stream snakes
over the map of the continental US, represented as alternating
stripe patterns.  That kind of animation where image change
must occur in non-rectangular area extending potentially the whole
screen is next-to-impossible by bit-blitting to VRAMs.
Even with NeXT's fast compositing by i860, I am not sure
the NeXTdimension board can do it.  Can it do compositing to
the whole screen area within a ONE frame period (14msec),
assuming you can do alternately map two separate VRAM areas
to the displayed area (Large memory config. for NeXTdimension
seems to allow this kind of use, where you can write into
one frame while the other area is displayed.).

AT&T, in the old TARGA board, made the same mistake of
not putting LUTs on their board.

Most of the old style true color systems such as ADAGE
have LUTs, in fact that has TWO LUTs.

Actually, if NeXTdimension board uses BrookTree RAMDAC, then
it must have LUTs.  Let's see the picture of the board...

What do you say?

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

I am not sure if

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/25/90)

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) wonders:

>> Actually, if NeXTdimension board uses BrookTree RAMDAC, then
>> it must have LUTs.  Let's see the picture of the board...

There is indeed a large PGA chip (same size as the i860) right next to
the VRAM with the telltale Bt logo on it.  Unfortunately the picture
does not have the resolution to discern the numbers (maybe if I take
it to JPL, they can enhance the image).  I don't really see how a color
map would fit into PostScript, but it must be available at a lower level
for fine-tuning a monitor's color.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

In article <50958@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>Can you tell me what colors you want to look up that 24-bit color does
>not bring to a screen directly without a look-up?

Apart from the points that other people have raised -- animation and color
correction -- it is worth noting that 8 bits per color is not enough for
some fussy applications like remote-sensing work.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wisdom@pico.cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) (09/27/90)

>Another thing LUT allows is LUT animation, the kind you might see
>in weather forecasts on TV where, e.g., jet stream snakes
>over the map of the continental US, represented as alternating
>stripe patterns.  That kind of animation where image change
>must occur in non-rectangular area extending potentially the whole
>screen is next-to-impossible by bit-blitting to VRAMs.
>Even with NeXT's fast compositing by i860, I am not sure
>the NeXTdimension board can do it.

Do not forget one of the (IMHO) best features of the NeXTdimension board -
the real-time video compression! Not only would it be able to produce those
images of snaking jet streams (albeit using a different method), it can/will
combine the video compression with renderman (i860) or live video (video in) in
ways that make multiple LUT's look like a childs toy...

-Scott Wisdom
wisdom@heckle.cs.umn.edu    <-- PLEASE send responses here, unless they are
                                flames(feel free to send those to the above
                                address).
CC for U of Minnesota
Coda Music Software Hacker

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep25.070212.15662@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) wonders:
>
>>> Actually, if NeXTdimension board uses BrookTree RAMDAC, then
>>> it must have LUTs.  Let's see the picture of the board...
>
>There is indeed a large PGA chip (same size as the i860) right next to
>the VRAM with the telltale Bt logo on it.  Unfortunately the picture
>does not have the resolution to discern the numbers (maybe if I take
>it to JPL, they can enhance the image).  I don't really see how a color
>map would fit into PostScript, but it must be available at a lower level
>for fine-tuning a monitor's color.
>
>Mark Adler
>madler@piglet.caltech.edu

According to EE Times (issue 609), the chip is the Bt463 TrueVu RAMDAC
from Brooktree, introduced at the August 1990 Siggraph conference.  The
RAMDAC is the "first to use different data conversion values and plane
depths in different display windows on a monitor".

The graphic support processor is Intel's i860.  This chip has excellent
graphics support, especially in 3-D graphics and Z-buffer manipulation,
built-in the chip.  It also boasts 64-bit data paths.

The image compression chip is the CL550 from C-Cube Microsystems, that
supports the Joint Photographic Experts Group's (JPEG) image compression
standard (an evolving standard -- the second draft was released in July,
and actually caused a rev in the CL chipset to CL-550B.  I don't know
which one will eventually ship in NeXTDimension, but images compressed
with the older CL-550 need to be translated for the CL-550B).

The 2.88MB floppy uses a "new high-density medium developed by NeXT
and Toshiba Corp."

All in all, very state of the art.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep25.171544.5774@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> Apart from the points that other people have raised -- animation and color
|> correction -- it is worth noting that 8 bits per color is not enough for
|> some fussy applications like remote-sensing work.

As far as I know PostScript internally works with arbitrary precise color
values, regardless on how many colors you see on screen. As 24-bit color
can produce more different colors than the human eye is able to differentiate,
I think it does not make sense to use more colors for data repesentation
of any kind, you won't see the difference. Internally you can however have
as many colors as you like.

CLUT-animation may by a nice toy, but it is a hack. Put in some more i860 if
necessary and do REAL animation. However, if the NeXT is able to have real-
time videos running from the hard-disk, it should be possible to animate what
ever you want without CLUT-animation-hacks.

For color calibration a CLUT is useful, and probably around, (after all NeXT
is going after the DTP-market) but needs not be acessible for the general
user. It suffices to have a device-driver level interface to it.

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (09/29/90)

In article <51552@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>CLUT-animation may by a nice toy, but it is a hack. Put in some more i860 if
>necessary and do REAL animation. However, if the NeXT is able to have real-
>time videos running from the hard-disk, it should be possible to animate what
>ever you want without CLUT-animation-hacks.

There are certain thing you can't do.  That's when hacks
have to come in no matter how ugly they could be.
The spec of the NeXTdimension board says that the i860's
"full screen clear time" is 30 msec.  That's TWO frames.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You just can't move 24(32)-bit deep Mega pixels around in
less than a frame period.
I don't think adding more i860's will help this, and
they have to be on another board anyway.

I know this is a hack.  I wan't exactly expecting DPS to hanle CLUT
animation.  It will probably break it.  I am, however, hoping
that the low-level software allows us to sneak in a little
program onto i860 to fiddle with CLUTs in a way which co-exists
with DPS interpreter.  Essentially, like the X windows system
somebody announced recently on the net.

I understand that most people wound not need to touch LUTs.
And that's true for me too while I work with standard graphics
programs such as TopDraw, Icon, etc.

The board hardware is a damn good graphics system by itself.
Especially at that price.
Even a stupid IBM AT boards with TMS34020 can cost similarly.
(1280x1024x24bits, non-interlaced).
I was just drooling over the possibility of having the best
of both worlds: Color DPS and Top-class graphics hardware.
Even without Color DPS, it's a nice board.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu