[comp.sys.next] More on NeXT pricing...

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/25/90)

I picked up the latest price lists from the Stanford Bookstore today.

The general trend towards big discounts on the cheapest model is confirmed.
The minimum model is $3153. The next one up has the Extended software release
and an extra 8M of RAM, total $4445. Difference: $1292. If you buy those
things separately, the RAM is $1024 (NeXT's inflated price), and 2.0 extended
in optical is $174. Total: $1198 - BUT of course you can get RAM at much
lower prices than NeXT's.

The next thing I did was to do a slightly unconventional comparison with the
Mac price list. Imagine you are in the market for a laser printer with a fast
PostScript engine, e.g., a LaserWriter IINTX. Stanford price: $3820. Does
NeXT offer an alternative? Their printer is 400dpi (which I presume is an
advantage), but needs a NeXT workstation to drive it. Stanford price for a
NeXT printer: $1229. Total for printer plus minimum NeXT: $4382. Now, this
is $562 more than the Apple printer, but the LaserWriter doesn't have a
nice screen to preview your PostScript, or a 105M hard disk. Also, it's
processor isn't as fast as the NeXT's and it doesn't include a unix
workstation in the price, or very much bundled software...
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/25/90)

/ comp.sys.next / philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) / Sep 24 90/
> Imagine you are in the market for a laser printer with a fast
> PostScript engine, e.g., a LaserWriter IINTX. Stanford price: $3820. Does
> NeXT offer an alternative? Their printer is 400dpi (which I presume is an
> advantage), but needs a NeXT workstation to drive it. Stanford price for a
> NeXT printer: $1229. Total for printer plus minimum NeXT: $4382. Now, this
> is $562 more than the Apple printer, but the LaserWriter doesn't have a
> nice screen to preview your PostScript, or a 105M hard disk. Also, it's
> processor isn't as fast as the NeXT's and it doesn't include a unix
> workstation in the price, or very much bundled software...

An interesting comparison.  However, the NeXTstation + NeXT Printer
combination does not exactly subsume a typical standalone laser printer.
An end user can't connect a NeXTstation to the serial port of their PC,
nor, in the case of a LaserWriter, to their LocalTalk network.  Of course,
one can get lpr for PC's, but your typical PC end-user won't be looking for
it and installing it.

However, for those systems with lpr already running, NeXTstation with
printer offers another advantage: TCP/IP-speed data path.  Postscript laser
printers with an Ethernet card tend to cost quite a bundle.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (09/26/90)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
> An end user can't connect a NeXTstation to the serial port of their PC,
> nor, in the case of a LaserWriter, to their LocalTalk network.

The NeXT has serial ports, why couldn't you hook it up to a PC?  Just
write some software to listen to the serial port and print whatever
comes in over it.

As for AppleTalk, no I can't see how you can daisy-chain a NeXT along
with some Macs, but for some people CAP should let Mac users spool to
a NeXT printer, no?  As long as you've got some sort of an appletalk
ethernet gateway...

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/26/90)

/ comp.sys.next / dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) / Sep 25, 1990 /
> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
> > An end user can't connect a NeXTstation to the serial port of their PC,
> > nor, in the case of a LaserWriter, to their LocalTalk network.
>
> The NeXT has serial ports, why couldn't you hook it up to a PC?  Just
> write some software to listen to the serial port and print whatever
> comes in over it.

*I* could[1], but your typical PC end-user won't be interested in (or capable
of) doing it.

Jacob

[1] I found it much easier, and quite cheap, to just drop an Ethernet card
into the PC and set up some software...

--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep25.052907.4351@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) says:

>...[stuff deleted] ...
>
>The next thing I did was to do a slightly unconventional comparison with the
>Mac price list. ... [stuff deleted] ...

This week's issue of Mac Week (Sept. 24, I guess) had a really
interesting table comparing the price of a NeXTstation vs the
price of an equivalent Mac. The NeXTstation, 8MB ram, 105MB HD,
68040, mono-display, floppy, Unix/Mach, and bundled software
at $4995. An equivalent Mac, 40Mhz fx, AUX, high-res graphics card,
etc. (I don't have the chart in front of me now and don't remember
all the Mac details) priced at $13,000!!!!!

NeXT, what a great deal.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662