[comp.sys.next] Memory configurations and Interleave question

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/30/90)

In <9009291751.AA04291@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@NIC.GAC.EDU writes:

>I don't know that it could use 16M simms.  That'd mean you could get
>+32M, I think.  16M is listed in the /usr/include/nextdev files in
>one or another place, but supporting simms that won'd be out for a couple
>years could be expensive.  Maybe next year's machine?

Well, I wouldn't think it would cost that much, but what do I know.
But a machine with 256MB on board capability!  WOW!  That would be
hot!  Load ALL the system software, AND extended stuff into RAM and
use what is left over for swap!  Hmm, be pretty quick!

>   But the color NeXTstation specs say it has 12-32 megabytes of main
>   memory.  What is the slot configuration on this machine?  Where do the 4
>   extra megs on the low end come from and why does it disappear when you
>   replace all 1MB simms with 4MB simms?  Main memory isn't used for color
>   video since the machine has 1.5 MB of VRAM.

>I suspect that they changed this to add speed, probably because it
>wouldn't cost all that much more for them (in that volume).  I've
>been wondering what the real memory will be, since I've seen these
>conflicting quotes, too.

Well, that's what my official NeXT spec sheet says, 12-32 for the
color station.  Hmm, maybe they needed extra space to handle color
stuff for PostScript?

>I have also seen something in one or another documents listing the
>price of 2 4M simms.  My first thought was "why in the world would
>anyone sell 2 simms for a NeXT rather than 4?"  That would solve the
>12M problem - 12M=2*4M+4*1M.  Or maybe you can put in 3*4M? :-)
>This is sort of surprising, though, as I could imagine it would
>1) be a nightmare for engineering, and 2) slow down memory access
>(can you say wait states?)

Ya didn't read it all.  There IS pricing for 2 4Mb simms, but that is
for the Dimension and NeXTstation color board ONLY, or maybe it wasn't
all there.  But in any case, the interleaving on the Station & Cube is
for 4 sets of SIMMS, so you MUST upgrade by buying 4x1Mb/4x4Mb SIMMS.
For the StationColor, and Dimension board, they are interleaved at 2
SIMMS so 2x1MB/2x4MB are your options for upgrading.

It is interesting to note that NeXT is not selling 1Mb SIMMS, but then
why would they want to?  The price for 1 4Mb SIMM from NeXT is
$748.75, twice AT LEAST of what I've heard ya can get mail order.  It
is even more interesting to note that the 8MB expansion is going to be
available in first quarter 1991.  Well, I can understand that it won't
be of much import until the color machines come out, but it seems
sorta silly to say it isn't available when NeXT will sell 16MB
expansions.

One question: Everything I've heard, and also what it says in the
price lists, product spec sheets, etc. say that the SIMMS are
interleaved, which is why you have to add 4 at a time.  Now is there a
difference between normal SIMMs and 'interleaved' ones?  I wouldn't
think so, I'd just imagine it's the way the memory is accessed.  But
I'd hate to sell off the 8x1MB ones, and buy new 4x4MB's and find out
that there is some difference between the two.

-k