[comp.sys.next] A-Max for the NeXT?

hauer@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Corey Hauer) (09/30/90)

Subject: A-Max for the NeXT?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

I would like to know if a product like A-Max for the Amiga would be possible
on the NeXT.  I think that a NeXT and this product would make it possible for
NeXT to take away much more of Apple's market share.  Imagine a machine with
the power of the NeXT AND the 1000's of macintosh applications available.  I
know the Amiga version of this product costs less than $200, but you must
purchase a legal set of 128k mac ROMs which seem to be readily available.
This would make an 040 pseudo-mac less than $4000.00.  I am very unfamiliar
with NeXT programing, but from what I've heard, the development time is far
less than other platforms.

Opinions?

Corey Hauer
hauer@ecn.purdue.edu

acs020@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (acs020) (09/30/90)

Interestingly enough in the Amiga Pirate world A-Max comes with a software
version of the ROM... on disk.

facinating to just stick in a disk and then see your Amiga turn into a
Mac in 30 secs. !!

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (09/30/90)

In article <9009292029.AA07530@en.ecn.purdue.edu> hauer@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Corey Hauer) writes:

>Subject: A-Max for the NeXT?
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
>
>I would like to know if a product like A-Max for the Amiga would be possible
>on the NeXT.  I think that a NeXT and this product would make it possible for
>NeXT to take away much more of Apple's market share.  Imagine a machine with
>the power of the NeXT AND the 1000's of macintosh applications available.  I
>know the Amiga version of this product costs less than $200, but you must
>purchase a legal set of 128k mac ROMs which seem to be readily available.
>This would make an 040 pseudo-mac less than $4000.00.  I am very unfamiliar
>with NeXT programing, but from what I've heard, the development time is far
>less than other platforms.
>
>Opinions?

	I am not very familiar with low-end Macs, if the Mac plus can run
	most of the "1000's of machintosh applications", how about get one
	of those $499 macplus and connect it to your NeXT via serial port?
	The "DataViz" is boubdled with NeXT so file transfering shouldn't
	be hard. And after all, it IS 100% Mac if anyone doubt about an
	emulator (such as A-Max) is not very compatible.

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao