[comp.sys.next] Extended software with 100 mb drive

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (09/28/90)

Let's say I buy a NeXTstation with the 100 mb drive.  Can I get the
extended software from NeXT if I buy a third party external?  How much
would they charge me for it?

thanks

Len Schultz

xwm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Alexei Rodriguez) (09/28/90)

 When you buy any Next, you buy the rights to all the software of the OS.
This includes the Extended version and so forth. I spoke to a rep today and
asked the same thing (about how to get the apps) and he said that they could be
mailed to me and I would have to pay for the media (no specific price, 90-100's
ballpark). He also suggested that I come into the regional Next office and
have it transfered (no cost mentioned). The last alternative was to get them
from my student reps. We shall see.

I have a few questions: what is the average price for applications? Also, what
other GNU stuff has been ported? How much space will X take up? Is WP avail
yet and if so how does it compare to its PC,MAC and Amiga versions? What
release is it? Anybody that can answer these questions and offer any other vital
information to a future Next owner will be looked upon as a stud(ette).

			Alexei Rodriguez

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/28/90)

/ comp.sys.next / ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) / Sep 27, 1990 /
> Let's say I buy a NeXTstation with the 100 mb drive.  Can I get the
> extended software from NeXT if I buy a third party external?

Yes.

> How much would they charge me for it?

The list price is $175 (on floppies).

I believe that once you buy the machine, you're licensed for the full
("Extended") software release.  Thus, the $175 is for the physical
distribution, and you should be entitled to copy it from another NeXT
instead.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (09/29/90)

In article <ob0YZ=C00UhW42TY87@andrew.cmu.edu>, ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
> Let's say I buy a NeXTstation with the 100 mb drive.  Can I get the
> extended software from NeXT if I buy a third party external?  How much
> would they charge me for it?
>
> Len Schultz

	I talked to someone at NeXT and they said the extended
	software might be priced around $175 and available on floppy.

	What I'm finding funny is this: I want to buy a new NeXT cube
	for development but they are making it difficult to get the
	requisite tools.  To me, a box isn't very useful if I
	can't program for it and make it pay.  I am somewhat concerned
	about NeXT making a big deal about Lotus software and , yet, not
	allowing me to fill the 105mb with something I can use.
	And which will increase the app. base for the NeXT

Will

markad@blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) (09/29/90)

BUT, NeXT is licensing all of its software to all purchasers, even if it
not physically on the machine. All you have to do is find someone else
with a NeXT with the full system to copy it from.

Also, I dont think $175 is that high when you figure media cost
of 40 disks or so.

Mark

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/30/90)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>I believe that once you buy the machine, you're licensed for the full
>("Extended") software release.  Thus, the $175 is for the physical
>distribution, and you should be entitled to copy it from another NeXT
>instead.

	What's the story on MANUALS associated with the extended software?
Is it included with the basic distribution sold with the NextStation?
Included with the $175 extended software distribution? An "optional extra"?