[comp.sys.next] University price differences

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep25.052907.4351@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>I picked up the latest price lists from the Stanford Bookstore today.
>
>The general trend towards big discounts on the cheapest model is confirmed.
>The minimum model is $3153.

The price lists from the UCLA Bookstore finally came out today.
The minimum model is $3449.

This brings up an interesting question.  Does NeXT, like Apple, limit
each student to buying one machine at a given University?

With these kinds of price differences between schools, it sounds like
it might be a good idea for students at high priced schools to have
friends at a low-priced schools buy their machines for them.

Is it possible?  If so, does any school have a lower price than
Stanford?  :-)

- Trent Lange

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (09/29/90)

    ...picked up the latest price lists from the Stanford Bookstore today.
    [etc]
    the minimum model is $3153.

    The price lists from the UCLA Bookstore finally came out today.
    The minimum model is $3449.

    This brings up an interesting question.  Does NeXT, like Apple, limit
    each student to buying one machine at a given University?

I talked to the NeXT rep on our campus (UCSD) today and THEY said, "...we have
one price as our education discount."  One can judge for one's self the
believeability of this statement.

Our price, by the way, is around $3900.  Hummm...

Ken Warner

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/29/90)

In <435@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:

>    ...picked up the latest price lists from the Stanford Bookstore today.
>    [etc]
>    the minimum model is $3153.

>    The price lists from the UCLA Bookstore finally came out today.
>    The minimum model is $3449.

>    This brings up an interesting question.  Does NeXT, like Apple, limit
>    each student to buying one machine at a given University?

>I talked to the NeXT rep on our campus (UCSD) today and THEY said, "...we have
>one price as our education discount."  One can judge for one's self the
>believeability of this statement.

TOTALLY bogus!  Ither that, or the price list sheet that our NeXT rep
had with 4!! different discount pricing schemes was bogus.  Maybe they
meant that your school only has one price, which would be true, as
it's tied to how many/much$$ your school is committed to NeXT.

>Our price, by the way, is around $3900.  Hummm...

Looks like you are getting the basic discount plan, ie: your school
didn't commit to purchasing ANY NeXT's.

-k

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (09/29/90)

In article <435@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
>    This brings up an interesting question.  Does NeXT, like Apple, limit
>    each student to buying one machine at a given University?
>
>I talked to the NeXT rep on our campus (UCSD) today and THEY said, "...we have
>one price as our education discount."  One can judge for one's self the
>believeability of this statement.

NeXT very likely has one education discount, but the non-profit
organisations called universities have different surcharges. They
attribute it to storage costs etc....

Axel

jeff@oakhill.UUCP (Jeff Enderwick) (10/01/90)

> I talked to the NeXT rep on our campus (UCSD) today and THEY said, "...we have
> one price as our education discount."  One can judge for one's self the
> believeability of this statement.
>
> Our price, by the way, is around $3900.  Hummm...
>
> Ken Warner

When I went to UCSD, the university bookstore was known for charging OVER
list price on textbooks. I wouldn't be suprised to find out that those
*ssholes are still raping student wallets.

	Jeff Enderwick
	(512) 476-8177
	cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!otis!jeff