[comp.sys.next] Fax on NeXT

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) (09/22/90)

>You may want to get a 9600 bps modem since it's great to be able
>to fax from your NeXT...

Actually, you need a fax modem, not a 9600 bps data modem, to do the
trick. Fax modems come in various speeds; 2400, 4800, 7200, and 9600
are some examples, though almost all support 9600 bps. Some even
support 14,400 bps using more-or-less proprietary formats.

NeXT bundles some basic fax software with System 2.0. You will now be
able to send faxes, but if I understand correctly, not receive. Also,
I have yet to be able to track down a good source for the fax modem
that is supported (a Ricoh fax modem ... my local Ricoh dealer knows
nothing about them).

VISUS also offers a fax modem, but apparently it only works with
PaperSight.

And then there's MirageFax (page 71 in Fall 1990 catalog), which I
wrote. It will both send and receive, it works with any application
that can print, and the MirageFax modem has a 2400 bps Hayes compatible
data modem as well.

People who are interested in details should e-mail me.

- Robert Lin <rlin@cs.ubc.ca>

dennis@bailey.cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry) (10/01/90)

In article <9696@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:

   NeXT bundles some basic fax software with System 2.0. You will now be
   able to send faxes, but if I understand correctly, not receive.

The software allows you to receive faxes.  As I understand it,
they end up somewhere in /usr/spool, and a human fax
administrator sorts them out and delivers them (probably via
e-mail instead of walking down the hall with a scrap of thermal
paper) to the right person.

Dennis Gentry
(dennis@cs.washington.edu)