[comp.sys.next] Black Hole, we hardly new ya'

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (09/25/90)

Did anyone notice the Black Hole is gone in 2.0?

Its been replaced with a strangely familiar but hard to place
symbol---the triad of arrows that represents ``recycle'' on newspaper bins.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/26/90)

I hope this optional!!  The people in corporate America who have to
work for a living probably said that a black hole is a little too
"cutesy" for them. I say: Bring Back the Black Hole!

-Mike

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/26/90)

In <Fnezp-a2@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>I hope this optional!!  The people in corporate America who have to
>work for a living probably said that a black hole is a little too
>"cutesy" for them. I say: Bring Back the Black Hole!

I SECOND!!

After all, the new trash/delete icon is ambiguous.  If you put a file
there, apparently, it is getting 'recycled'.  So what's getting
recycled?  The disk space the file was in?  The file itself?  Or we
gonna get back a new file that is one created using a 'recycled' file?
How much do we get to the pound of data?  Is there anything that ISN'T
recycable?  I'd venture to say converted messy-dos files probably are
toxic, and harmful to your NeXT environment!  What are we gonna do with
these harmful products?

I vote Black Hole!  The ultimate dispenser!  Is your data radioactive?
Is it non-biodegradable?  Who cares!  Just toss it in your friendly
Black Hole, and it's gone forever!

This service brought to you by Citizens for an Enviromentally Safe NeXTs!

p.s. At least the recycle is better than the pre-release major beta
2.0's trashcan.  Yuck!  I wonder, is it possible to just
edit/change/whatever that icon and make it the Black Hole again?

-k

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (09/26/90)

>I vote Black Hole!  The ultimate dispenser!  Is your data radioactive?
>Is it non-biodegradable?  Who cares!  Just toss it in your friendly
>Black Hole, and it's gone forever!

But, see, it's actually _not_ gone forever - it's just in a parallel
universe.  And then what is happening when it is "emptied"?  Is the
wormhole to this universe being somehow terminated?  Are we litterring
other universes with our useless files?  I read a story about this
once . . .

>This service brought to you by Citizens for an Enviromentally Safe NeXTs!

No comment :-)

>p.s. At least the recycle is better than the pre-release major beta
>2.0's trashcan.  Yuck!  I wonder, is it possible to just
>edit/change/whatever that icon and make it the Black Hole again?

What is needed is a loadable .nib file which defines the Black Hole/
Recycler.  Security problems raise their ugly heads, but I have faith
in the people at NeXT . . .

Aha!  This is something that'd be really neat.

One thing I'd like to have is alternate search paths for libraries and
include files for IB, so that when I have a useful class, I need not
link it all over my directory structure.  Just have it included automatically.
This would be nice to go along with my CustomInterfaceBuilder which has
a bunch of oft-used objects compiled in.

What'd be really neat would be to have an IB Palettes default which
listed a bunch of palettes to load in when you load up IB.

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independant NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (09/26/90)

If you can change the icon back to a black hole or whatever, you might
want to do it right and put in an accretion disk, and some bipolar
flows, and possibly (according to a theory Stephen Hawking supposedly
worked out) the Immortal Cthulthu emerging from the event horizon....:-)

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (09/27/90)

I don't know-- I kind of like the Recycling bin concept.

A black hole implies permanent oblivian.

The recycling bin implies that your going to take the old bits and
recycle them into something new and useful (in this case, free disk
space)...

makes more sense to me.

Besides, the arrows look neat when they go round and round.

b.bum

In article <5611@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>                        I wonder, is it possible to just
>edit/change/whatever that icon and make it the Black Hole again?

It's not just one icon--there are empty and non-empty versions,
and more images for the animation.

					-=EPS=-

lshupe@milton.u.washington.edu (Larry Shupe) (09/27/90)

My vote for naming the next next NeXT:
Cube, Slab, Wafer (because it will be just waaahfer thin!)

There have been a couple of requests a simple graphics example
using the NeXT Step interface.  Paul Haeberli posted some code
for an Iris workstation graphics example, and I have translated
this to NeXT Step.  This example is self contained and does not
use Interface Builder, but at least non-NeXT programmers should
be able to see how it works.

------------ Cut Here -----------------
// File name: Dinky.m
// Larry Shupe
// Sept 26, 1990
//
// A trivial paint program for a NeXT.
// Some source code stolen from the "little" demo.
// Compile with: cc -O -g -Wimplicit -o Dinky Dinky.m -lNeXT_s -lsys_s

#import <appkit/appkit.h>

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Define a class for drawing circles when user clicks the mouse.

@interface PaintView:Control { /* No instance variables */ }

- clear:sender;             // Action method to erase painting to white.

@end

@implementation PaintView

- clear:sender
{
  [self lockFocus];         // Sets up clipping path etc.
  NXEraseRect(&bounds);	    // Erase the current painting.
  PSflushgraphics();        // Update the screen now.
  [self unlockFocus];
  return self;
}

- mouseDown:(NXEvent *)theEvent   // Called by system when mouse clicked.
{
  NXPoint center = theEvent->location;

  [self convertPoint:&center fromView:nil];  // From Global to Local coords.
  [self lockFocus];
  PSnewpath();
  PSarc(center.x, center.y, 36, 0, 360);  // PostScript for a circle.
  PSsetgray(NX_BLACK);
  PSstroke();
  PSflushgraphics();
  [self unlockFocus];
  return self;
}

@end

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

void setUp(void)
{
  NXRect rectangle;
  id myWindow, myPainting, myMenu;

  NXSetRect(&rectangle, 100.0, 350.0, 300.0, 300.0);
  myWindow = [Window newContent:&rectangle style:NX_TITLEDSTYLE
    backing:NX_BUFFERED buttonMask:NX_MINIATURIZEBUTTONMASK defer:NO];

  NXSetRect(&rectangle, 0.0, 0.0, 300.0, 300.0);
  myPainting = [PaintView newFrame:&rectangle];
  [myWindow setContentView:myPainting];
  [[myWindow display] makeKeyAndOrderFront:nil];

  myMenu = [Menu newTitle:"Dinky"];
  [[myMenu addItem:"Clear" action:@selector(clear:) keyEquivalent:'\0']
    setTarget:myPainting];
  [myMenu addItem:"Quit" action:@selector(terminate:) keyEquivalent:'q'];
  [myMenu sizeToFit];
  [NXApp setMainMenu:myMenu];
}

main()
{
  [Application new];    // Create new application object.
  setUp();              // Setup the window and the menu.
  [NXApp run];          // Run the application until user quits.
  [NXApp free];
}
------------ Cut Here -----------------

Larry Shupe
lshupe@milton.u.washington.edu

absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu (Daniel Faken) (09/28/90)

In article <873@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <5611@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>>                        I wonder, is it possible to just
>>edit/change/whatever that icon and make it the Black Hole again?
>
>It's not just one icon--there are empty and non-empty versions,
>and more images for the animation.

Yes, and with this in mind, it seems easy to change the icon...As I do not
have a slab yet (the oppressors at NeXT once again fail to send one to me)
thought, here's a description of how to:
get into pft (via: "pft") and start Above 0 orderwindow-ing the windows,
and then 0 0 movewindow-ing them starting from maybe 2.
(I'm assuming that the numbers might be different
in '2.0).. as soon as one pops up with a bunch of pictures of the recycling
symbol, you know what to change (ie. remember that window #). Now go over
to your favorite '1.0, get an eps of the black hole (or whatever) and it's
animation sequence.  Now just composite the black hole onto the recycling
symbol! Easy, no? This is, of course, assuming that it only refreshes the
window at reboot (and perhaps login?).
Hope this wasn't too disjointed...

[including file: /altdimension7/'heaven'/God/Christian/.signature...]
Faithfully and unerringly saving our civilization from certain demise..
absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu     |    "Don't get Odd, get Even"
The opinions (and/or facts) expressed herein may represent most of the
student body and administratium here at the UW. But then again, they may not.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/29/90)

I also like the black hole better. But the worst thing is to change this stuff
all the time. Immagine Apple changed their trashcan all the time. They
couldn't even sue people anymore for using it :-)
Changes like these are confusing and shouldn't be done except if there is a
new and enhanced paradigm used that justifies the confusion and that can't be
represented by what was used before.

--Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (09/29/90)

In article <0b0CBPi00WBNE2Z9cw@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M.
Bumgarner) says:

>I don't know-- I kind of like the Recycling bin concept.
>
>A black hole implies permanent oblivian.
>
>The recycling bin implies that your going to take the old bits and
>recycle them into something new and useful (in this case, free disk
>space)...
>
>makes more sense to me.
>
>Besides, the arrows look neat when they go round and round.

Yea, I think the recycling bin is appropriate. When I first saw it
though, I was a litte disappointed. But now I am getting to like
it. Just something we all have to get used too.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu (Tim Kay) (10/03/90)

We learn from Steven Hawking's _A_Brief_History_of_Time_
that black hole slowly boil away and finally disappear
altogether.  Indeed!

Tim

nayeri@cs.umass.edu (Farshad Nayeri) (10/03/90)

In article <90272.095637SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:

   In article <0b0CBPi00WBNE2Z9cw@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M.
   Bumgarner) says:

   >I don't know-- I kind of like the Recycling bin concept.
   >
   >A black hole implies permanent oblivian.
   >
   >The recycling bin implies that your going to take the old bits and
   >recycle them into something new and useful (in this case, free disk
   >space)...

Maybe it is because deleting a file on the WORM is like putting it in
permanent oblivion (the bits I mean), but same is not true for a hard drive! I
haven't seen the creature, just making some (probably dumb) speculation.
--
Farshad Nayeri                Object Oriented Systems Group
nayeri@cs.umass.edu           Dept. of Computer and Information Science

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/03/90)

In article <tim.654903374@ziggurat> tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu (Tim Kay) writes:

>We learn from Steven Hawking's _A_Brief_History_of_Time_
>that black hole slowly boil away and finally disappear
>altogether.  Indeed!

However, if you feed them, you can keep that from happening.  We all must
not have been deleting enough files ...

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

In article <NAYERI.90Oct2175829@ibis.cs.umass.edu> nayeri@cs.umass.edu (Farshad Nayeri) writes:

   In article <90272.095637SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:

      In article <0b0CBPi00WBNE2Z9cw@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M.
      Bumgarner) says:

      >I don't know-- I kind of like the Recycling bin concept.
      >
      >A black hole implies permanent oblivian.
      >
      >The recycling bin implies that your going to take the old bits and
      >recycle them into something new and useful (in this case, free disk
      >space)...

   Maybe it is because deleting a file on the WORM is like putting it in
   permanent oblivion (the bits I mean), but same is not true for a hard drive!I
   haven't seen the creature, just making some (probably dumb) speculation.

Sorry about this bugos message! I am not sure where I left my brain today 8-|
I guess it was a dumb speculation after all. --farshad