[comp.sys.next] NeXT Dimension as descrambler

dgc@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor) (10/01/90)

Most cable TV scrambling systems simply suppress or otherwise confuse
the synch and may invert the color in the composite video signal.
Presumebably, since the NeXT Dimension can do real-time video digital
computations, it could perform real-time descrambling quite easily.

Would this make it the most expensive descrambling "black box" that one
can purchase?

dgc

David G. Cantor
Department of Mathematics
University of California at Los Angeles
Internet:  dgc@math.ucla.edu

cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) (10/01/90)

In article <443@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> dgc@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor) writes:
>Most cable TV scrambling systems simply suppress or otherwise confuse
>the synch and may invert the color in the composite video signal.
>Presumebably, since the NeXT Dimension can do real-time video digital
>computations, it could perform real-time descrambling quite easily.

Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.  You could read in the
music, add the "black frequency" that is masked out for DAT copy-protection,
and write it back to another tape.  Surely the interface wouldn't be too
expensive.  Modern technology will make the recording industry (and anyone
else who thinks his survival depends on blocking the free flow of
information) a dead duck.  Few will mourn...

	-Curtis
"Your eyeballs feel like pinballs, and your tongue feels like a fish"
		-The Clash

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/01/90)

In article <51700@brunix.UUCP> cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:

>>computations, it could perform real-time [TV] descrambling quite easily.
>
>Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
>could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.

Or, for day to day use, you can record, analyze (on the MonsterScope) and playback the
tone access codes  used by the telephone company---free phone calls for everyone!

Sounds to me like the FCC's gonna have to shut down NeXT :-)

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/01/90)

Or, imagine the fun you can have applying the Sound Editor to recordings
of various import people...

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

In article <51700@brunix.UUCP> cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
>Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
>could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.  You could read in the
>music, add the "black frequency" that is masked out for DAT copy-protection,
>and write it back to another tape...

The "black frequency" scheme was decisively shot down and is no longer
planned.  DAT copy-protection is now strictly *digital* copy protection,
with (oversimplifying slightly) a do-not-copy bit in the digital bit
stream that other digital recorders will respect.  Once the bits get
turned into an analog signal, they are clean.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu (Tim Kay) (10/03/90)

In <443@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> dgc@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor) writes:

>Most cable TV scrambling systems simply suppress or otherwise confuse
>the synch and may invert the color in the composite video signal.
>Presumebably, since the NeXT Dimension can do real-time video digital
>computations, it could perform real-time descrambling quite easily.

>Would this make it the most expensive descrambling "black box" that one
>can purchase?

No, no, no.  The C-Cubed CL550 chip implements the JPEG (Joint Photographic
Experts Group) image compression and decompression algorithm.  That algorithm
is hard-wired into the chip.  The chip can't do any real-time video processing
except for that one task (plus simple RGB to YUV, and similar conversions).

I would guess that, before any data could be gotten to that chip (after all,
the chip takes digital data), the incoming video must be genlocked.  Before you
can genlock, you need a sync.  Therefore, you would need a descrambler before
you can even feed the data to the NeXT machine.

So, while the NeXT box can do some fast, general purpose signal processing on
audio data, it can't do any fast (e.g. real-time) processing on video data.

Besides, read-time descramblers are incredibly easy to build.  Why tie up
a $14,000 work station when $20 worth of parts will do the trick.  And even
then, you aren't doing the trick.  While the video is scrambled with simple
sync suppression or inversion, the audio is usually encrypted with DES.  That
is much harder to decode (without the key).

Tim

dar@cbnews.att.com (David A. Roth) (10/03/90)

In article <451@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

|> >Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
|> >could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.
|>
|> Or, for day to day use, you can record, analyze (on the MonsterScope) and playback the
|> tone access codes  used by the telephone company---free phone calls for everyone!

As Homey the Clown would say "I don't think so!".