[comp.sys.next] Microphone

adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) (08/28/90)

What kind of microphone works on the cube?  The NeXT Bible
says high impedance.  I presume monaural.  I have tried
a high impedance mike with an RCA plug and adaptor to
mini plug, but all that produced was white noise.
I tried a low impedance (500ohms) cheap Sony with a mini
plug, and that got something, but produced a strong background
of noise.  I can find no mention of a microphone in the
documentation.  High impedance mikes with mini plugs
are quite expensive.  Thanks for any clues.

rca@cslab9c.cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (08/28/90)

There is a pretty cheap microphone you can get a Radio Shack. It is
black, thin,
and is basically a hexagonal aluminum pipe with a little microphone in one end.
It works decent although not HI-FI, but it's 8-bit recording only, so it no
problem. Otherwise you can still go for the digital Microphone ...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (08/29/90)

In article <370@nwnexus.WA.COM> adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) writes:
>What kind of microphone works on the cube?  The NeXT Bible

I suggest the RadioShack line of mikes---cheap, and they get the job done.
The spiffiest one is a $20 mini-mike with its own stand (matches
the cubes black space age look well.) I have a $30 one (full sized,
black plastic body and black metal base), and they have one that
runs for about $40 that was recommended by a rep from the folks that
make Digital Ears. I don't have the specs on me, but these three all
have good dynamic range (50-20,000 Hz), look nice, and seem to work well.

mvilla@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Marcelo Villacres) (08/29/90)

In article <370@nwnexus.WA.COM> adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) writes:
>What kind of microphone works on the cube?

I used a regular cheap microphone that has a 1/8" plug. I was able to record
sounds, and also play with monsterscope without any problems.

8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=) (=8 8=)

			          ____
			     ___/|    |
	         _______    |   ||    |
	        |  ___  |   |___||    |        _____________
	        |  ===  |       \|____|       |=============|__
	        |  M/V  |        //     ======|             |======
	        |_______|       //======o     |_____________|
           _____________
         /_______________\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[=]

azure@portia.Stanford.EDU (Lai Heng Chua) (08/29/90)

vAbout the mikes.  I didn't worry about high impedence when
I golow frequency mike.  Small mike from REALISTIC
cost aboutGood for voice mail and short sounds.
If you want to have high quality then sure mikes go up
quite a bit in price, like a couple thousand too.

Problem may be you didn't switch on something or bad
cube.

olstad@wn.msc.umn.edu (Ken Olstad) (09/04/90)

In article <292@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry
Merriman) writes:

> I suggest the RadioShack line of mikes---cheap, and they get the job done.
.
.
.
> have good dynamic range (50-20,000 Hz), look nice, and seem to work well.
            ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's frequency response.

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (09/24/90)

In article <370@nwnexus.WA.COM> adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) writes:
>What kind of microphone works on the cube?...

RadioShack (Realistic) Tic Clip Microphone ($19.95) cat # 33-1052
is excellent.

good luck

-lance

Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650
8716 North MoPac #200               UUCP:   cs.utexas.edu!pensoft!lwb
Austin, Texas  78759                UUNET:  uunet!uudell!pensoft!lwb

gk@next.com (Gregg Kellogg) (10/03/90)

The 2.0 release closes this security hole by only allowing processes
launched from Loginwindow to access the sound driver.  You can't even
rlogin to open the driver.

There's a facility (called Public Sound Server) that advertises the sound
driver using the network name server, allowing complete access to the sound
driver across the net, but this is turned off by default.

Gregg Kellogg
NeXT Operating Systems Group

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (10/03/90)

In article <253@next.com>, gk@next.com (Gregg Kellogg) writes:
> The 2.0 release closes this security hole by only allowing processes
> launched from Loginwindow to access the sound driver.  You can't even
> rlogin to open the driver.

Darn!  I had great fun "haunting" a friend's machine.  Catch him napping
at the terminal and sndplay a pastiche of the Twilight Zone and Curly.
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.  Took him a while to catch me since he's in Virginia
and I'm in Colorado.

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #