[comp.sys.next] NeXT international plans?

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/28/90)

I occasionally write for Computers in Africa. I wonder if anyone from NeXT
would like to discuss international marketing plans ...
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.200513.20457@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>I occasionally write for Computers in Africa. I wonder if anyone from NeXT
>would like to discuss international marketing plans ...

Will NeXT handle Russian (Cyrillic fonts) anytime soon?

        Geoffrey S. Knauth                           geoff@camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                     geoff%camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451                --standard disclaimers--

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/29/90)

/ comp.sys.next / geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) / Sep 28, 1990 /
> Will NeXT handle Russian (Cyrillic fonts) anytime soon?

I'm using Cyrillic fonts right now.  I bought a "PC" version of them from
Casady and Green, and Glenn Reid helped me get them working on the NeXT
(thanks again, Glenn!).

Russian is quite easy to do, because there are no accent marks to worry
about.  (Assuming you're entering Russian text without stress marks:-)

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) (09/30/90)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>I occasionally write for Computers in Africa. I wonder if anyone from NeXT
>would like to discuss international marketing plans ...

I'd like to join this discussion, too. I'm concerned in particular with
distribution in Europe. Last week I was asked to pay "something beetwen
$30000 and $40000" for the old Cube + Laser Printer (I'm not joking).
I think that NeXT wouldn't be happy to know that a VAR is reselling their
machines with such a price increase. So I'd like to discuss this matter with
some international sales people at NeXT.

--
Arrigo Benedetti                      | USENET:  root@pubit.sublink.ORG
Via S.Agata 11, 41100 Modena - Italy  | BANG:    ..!rutgers!deejay!gear!pubit

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (10/04/90)

In article <49@pubit.sublink.ORG> root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) writes:
>philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>
>>I occasionally write for Computers in Africa. I wonder if anyone from NeXT
>>would like to discuss international marketing plans ...
>
>I'd like to join this discussion, too. I'm concerned in particular with
>distribution in Europe. Last week I was asked to pay "something beetwen
>$30000 and $40000" for the old Cube + Laser Printer (I'm not joking).
>I think that NeXT wouldn't be happy to know that a VAR is reselling their
>machines with such a price increase. So I'd like to discuss this matter with
>some international sales people at NeXT.

Then again, I got some material from the U.K. and their projected price
for the NeXTStation is only 3255 pounds. I'm trying to convince my boss
that we should buy at least one NeXTStation and he gave me the permission
to find out what the educational price would be, if we got it from the UK
distributor. Their material seemed to indicate that educational
discount NeXTs _are_ directly available from NeXT inc., but I guess they
meant institutions that have signed a contract with NeXT.

(If you are wondering why I'm getting a NeXT after that Emacs posting,
please note that I'm not buying it with my own money. One reason for
the anti-Emacs posting was that I wanted to hear about alternatives and
make more people aware that not everyone is happy with Emacs. I'm still
one of the strongest NeXT supporters at our university.)

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct3.211448.15738@santra.uucp>, jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:

|> >I'd like to join this discussion, too. I'm concerned in particular with
|> >distribution in Europe. Last week I was asked to pay "something beetwen
|> >$30000 and $40000" for the old Cube + Laser Printer (I'm not joking).
|> >I think that NeXT wouldn't be happy to know that a VAR is reselling their
|> >machines with such a price increase. So I'd like to discuss this matter with
|> >some international sales people at NeXT.
|>
|> Then again, I got some material from the U.K. and their projected price
|> for the NeXTStation is only 3255 pounds.
If this is not the educational price, it is a _slight_ improvement on
the tendency of some computer companies to treat the exchange rate as if
pound=dollar. I wonder which computer company is going to be the first to
realize that Europe is going to be one big market in 1992, and start pricing
accordingly.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu