[net.followup] Who said...

scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper ) (08/08/85)

..and who said...

"I utterly disagree with everything that you are
saying, but I am prepared to fight to the death for
your right to say it."

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (08/09/85)

> ..and who said...
>
> "I utterly disagree with everything that you are
> saying, but I am prepared to fight to the death for
> your right to say it."

A biographer of Voltaire made it up and attributed it to him.
It was also phrased rather differently, but you have the gist.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (08/09/85)

In article <527@brl-tgr.ARPA> scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper (CTAB) <scooper>) writes:
>..and who said...
>
>"I utterly disagree with everything that you are
>saying, but I am prepared to fight to the death for
>your right to say it."

Voltaire, the jerk.  Yet another example of "nicey-nice" thinking.
It is this sort of attitude which lets psychopaths "express"
themselves right up to the moment when innocent people die.
	The Rev. Jim Jones, for example.
--
"I utterly disagree with what you are saying, but if
you keep on saying it, I will get violent."

eduardo@dartvax.UUCP (Eduardo Hernandez) (08/10/85)

> ..and who said...
>
> "I utterly disagree with everything that you are
> saying, but I am prepared to fight to the death for
> your right to say it."

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend
to the death your right to say it.

C. S. Tallentyre
--

Eduardo Hernandez '87
Hinman Box 1038   Hanover, NH 03755           (603)643-7229

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (08/12/85)

In article <1386@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:
> In article <527@brl-tgr.ARPA> scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper) writes:
> >..and who said...
> >
> >"I utterly disagree with everything that you are
> >saying, but I am prepared to fight to the death for
> >your right to say it."
>
> Voltaire, the jerk.  Yet another example of "nicey-nice" thinking.
> It is this sort of attitude which lets psychopaths "express"
> themselves right up to the moment when innocent people die.
> 	The Rev. Jim Jones, for example.

At the risk of taking something that should have had a smiley seriously....

The alternative is the sort of attitude that lets ONLY the psychopaths
express themselves.  Innumerable fascists, dictators, and despots for
example.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

keith@uiucme.uiucme (08/19/85)

I've seen it attributed to:

      Renee Descartes
      Socrates
      an Irish philosopher whose name now escapes me (ca. 1850)

:r .signature
Keith
U of Ill Mech Eng
uiucdcs!uiucme!keith

lanoitnetninu ylerup si daed ro gnivil nosrep yna ot ecnalbmeseR

"Well, well, well!   Look who the sexual revolution has finally caught
up with!"

ken@boring.UUCP (08/23/85)

In article <770@lll-crg.ARPA> cralle@lll-crg.ARPA (Bob Cralle) writes:
>Who said,
>
>"The most important thing in life is not remembering, but forgetting."

I used to know but I took his advice and forgot his name. (-:

	Sorry, couldn't resist,
	Ken
--
UUCP: ..!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!ken Voice: Ken!
Mail: Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ, Amsterdam.