[comp.sys.next] Source availability

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (10/06/90)

In article <485.270c8aac@venus.ycc.yale.edu>, m@jacobi.biology.yale.edu (mark mccallum) writes:
.  .  .
> If Next really wants to stand the industry on its collective ear they could
> include source for all system software on systems sold with optical/cd-rom
> drives. Next looked like they were going to try to redefine the industry when
> they started, yet they look more and more like any other vendor every day.

Well, I was assured by my NeXT sales person that a) source
would definitely be available (although I assume this wont
actually include the NeXTStep magic, but would include
Mach and its utilities). I have been told it will be
shipping by the New Year, and I should have a copy by then.

Before you cry that without the source to the windowing
environment it would be useless, go back and read my

> I still might buy a slab if someone comes out with an affordable scsi optical
> drive.

Actually, the ways things are going the problem is not
affording the drive, it's affording the disks!

				- peterd

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
| a   a |	No, I'm not _THE_ Peter Deutsch, I'm _A_ Peter Deutsch.
 \  a  /	The other guy still works for ParcPlace Systems.
  \___/         He wrote, try deutsch@parcplace.com....