[comp.sys.next] new name for NeXT

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (10/03/90)

I just received a notice claiming NeXT, Inc., is changing its name to
NeXT Computers, Inc.  If so, the obvious benefit would be for a public
stock offering.  Call your broker now!

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (10/06/90)

Well, the feedback I'm getting is that NeXT is changing its name to avoid
legal conflict with somebody else named Next.  One story is that it's a
store in San Francisco, which even has each letter a different color!

I still say "NeXT Computer, Inc." has more cachet for whenever they do go
public.  Maybe if enough people call their brokers we can generate a
market :-).  Don't forget that when Apple went public most people couldn't
buy shares; they had already been allocated by the underwriters to their
favorite customers.

In article <8857@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu
	(Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>Well, the feedback I'm getting is that NeXT is changing its name to avoid
>legal conflict with somebody else named Next.  One story is that it's a
>store in San Francisco, which even has each letter a different color!

This sounds like urban legend, except such a store in fact
exists--it's a furniture store on Van Ness just north of Market.
Their "E" is a little different too.  Hmm...

					-=EPS=-