[comp.sys.next] Archive site list

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (10/09/90)

In article <3187@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, dick@cca.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) writes:
[* plug for free Software Foundation, etc deleted *]

> .  .  .  .  .  (Where is that site that keeps
> a directory of anonymous ftp sites and what they have?)

That's us here at SOCS (School of Computer Science, McGill
University). the service is known as "archie" and resides
on quiche.cs.mcgill.ca [132.206.3.30].

archie is an "archive server server", that is, it keeps an
up-to-date list of archive sites and what is stored at
each one. We are now maintaining a set of about 900 sites,
each updated at least once a month.

Internet users can login to quiche and search through the
listings for strings, thus hopefully locating the software
you're after more quickly than going through whatever
archive sites you actually know about (I bet there are not
many of you who actually know of 900 archive sites! :-)

To access archie, telnet or rlogin to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
as user "archie". You will get a message screen containing
info about archie's latest status and the available
commands (we keep trying to find ten minutes here and
there to spruce it up a bit).

Currently, you can do the equivalent of ed regular
expression searches or ask for the contents of an entire
archive site listing. Planned soon are the ability to look
for archive site names (ie "whois *orst*.edu") and the
ability to limit searches to certain archive sites (eg
"prog smalltalk *.fi" or "prog smalltalk *.edu"). We also
want to build a better database and associated search
mechanism, add an email interface and maybe a GUI
interface as well (the last is a tangent related to my
thesis work on distributed information systems).

We have been talking with a number of other sites who are
interested in providing a simmilar service and we'd like
to see a few archies around the world. Perhaps a couple in
Europe, a few across North America, etc. What we'd like to
avoid is having hundreds of sites running the same
software, flooding the archive sites with update requests.
Still, if you're interested in getting on the archie
mailing list, write to Alan Emtage (bajan@cs.mcgill.ca) as
he's the principal implemetor right now.

Finally,don 't forget that ed regular expressions aren't
exactly csh regular expressions. this has bitten a few
people.

Sorry if this is not exactly NeXT related, but I believe
we have all the NeXT archive sites in the set. Of course,
I'm writing this on a NeXT. :-)

			- peterd

^X ^I .signature

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
| a   a |	"Well she turned me into a newt!"
 \  a  /	"A newt?"
  \___/         "I got better."