[comp.sys.next] hard drive info wanted

sfisher@apple.com (Stephen Fisher) (09/26/90)

Well, I took the plunge and ordered my slab today. After much debate,
I decided to get the 105M hard disk and buy an external SCSI drive.
Now comes the hard part: which drive and from whom? Ideally I'd like
to get a ~330M drive, so that I can use the internal drive for
backup, etc. I looked in MacWeek and saw some reasonble deals
(a Wren and a Maxtor for around 1500), but are these usuable
on the NeXT??? Are there better drives (or cheaper dealers)??

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

tgoldtho@ccng.uwaterloo.ca (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) (09/26/90)

In article <45139@apple.Apple.COM> sfisher@apple.com (Stephen Fisher) writes:

>Well, I took the plunge and ordered my slab today. After much debate,
>I decided to get the 105M hard disk and buy an external SCSI drive.
>Now comes the hard part: which drive and from whom? Ideally I'd like
>to get a ~330M drive, so that I can use the internal drive for
>backup, etc. I looked in MacWeek and saw some reasonble deals
>(a Wren and a Maxtor for around 1500), but are these usuable
>on the NeXT??? Are there better drives (or cheaper dealers)??
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>Steve

Well, I have put a few gig of third party drives onto a NeXT already.  It
works well.  No third party software is required for this operation.  All
you need to do is make the appropriate entries in some of the /private/etc
files and use a few NeXT supplied routines.  Assuming that in 2.0 they didn't
change it that much (there isn't that much to do to add any drive of the
SCSI type, provided the disk port likes it:-)), there should be no problems.
The low level format can be a problem in some cases.  Most drives are already
low-level formatted, but the buyer can't be guaranteed of the interleave or
if the disk's built in cache has been enabled.  This is where your favorite
mac is useful (see I told you a mac was good for something:-)).  Use a
program like micronet utility to do this simple job.   The rest is done
by the NeXT (thankfully).  Mail me for details.

Tom
tag@sunee.waterloo.edu

haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Haugeland) (09/27/90)

Lots of people seem to have the same idea: since 105 mb isn't enough,
and NeXT charges too much for the 340 mb upgrade, the best move is to
add a third party drive to the basic NeXTstation via the SCSI port.
The question is: what to add? Now if we take the 340 mb upgrade as an
indication of how much total capacity to aim for, the 210 mb external
Quantum would seem the nominal default choice. Lots of Mac sources
sell that for around a thousand dollars.

What I'm wondering about is the merits/demerits of the following
alternative. The same Mac sources also all sell an external Syquest
drive with a 44 mb removable cartridge for around $700, and extra
cartridges for about $75. So the same thousand dollars would also
get a comparable 220 mb total capacity by this other route. Some
relative advantages and disadvantages are pretty obvious:

    Advantages:
     -- capacity can be expanded incrementally and cheaply
        (cartridges run about $1.50/mb)
     -- the system can be used for backup  (especially important
        if your system is stand-alone -- ie, not networked)

    Disadvantages:
     -- Only 150 mb online at a time -- some disk swapping may
        be necessary on occasion
     -- Somewhat slower -- Syquest average access = only 25 ms

Is it as simple as this? What am I missing? What do people with
more experience than I know/think about this idea?

John Haugeland
haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/27/90)

/ comp.sys.next / haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Haugeland) / Sep 26 '90 /
> What I'm wondering about is the merits/demerits of the following
> alternative. The same Mac sources also all sell an external Syquest
> drive with a 44 mb removable cartridge for around $700, and extra
> cartridges for about $75. [...]
>     Disadvantages:
>      -- Only 150 mb online at a time -- some disk swapping may
>         be necessary on occasion

Well, setting up the Release 2.0 Extended directory tree on a bunch of
these removable cartridges will be tricky.  Are you sure you can get the
auto disk mounter to deal with these cartridges?  If not, you'll have to
keep using mount & umount as root.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep25.234935.1501@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tgoldtho@ccng.uwaterloo.ca (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) writes:
|> The low level format can be a problem in some cases.  Most drives are already
|> low-level formatted, but the buyer can't be guaranteed of the interleave or
|> if the disk's built in cache has been enabled.  This is where your favorite
|> mac is useful (see I told you a mac was good for something:-)).  Use a
|> program like micronet utility to do this simple job.   The rest is done
|> by the NeXT (thankfully).  Mail me for details.

Most importantly the sector size is almost always set to 512byte/sec instead
of 1024byte/sector. This usually enhances throughput AND capacity of a disk.
A program that does cache enabling and low-level formatting on the NeXT is
available from us. Send mail to this account for more information.
I also should mention, that the Mac programs I know of allow not for a change
in sector size, but only things like caching.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

tgoldtho@ccng.uwaterloo.ca (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) (10/01/90)

In article <51560@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>Most importantly the sector size is almost always set to 512byte/sec instead
>of 1024byte/sector. This usually enhances throughput AND capacity of a disk.
>A program that does cache enabling and low-level formatting on the NeXT is
>available from us. Send mail to this account for more information.
>I also should mention, that the Mac programs I know of allow not for a change
>in sector size, but only things like caching.
>
>Ronald

I wouldn't trust your program for now, however.  Until
NeXT officially releases info on what to do for third party products, the
program might be broken without you even knowing it.  You also don't seem
to mention the problem with /etc/disktab and the 512/1024 byte sector
problem.  Such stuff also needs fixing first.  So for now I advise people
to stick with what is supplied with the system.  At least it works and
gives me nearly twice the performance on a cheap 600Mbyte drive than with
the maxtor supplied with the system.  I won't complain about that kind
of a gain for now (though better may be possible).  Note in 2.0 things
may be fixed, I don't have it yet and therefore don't know.  BTW, only one
of the mac utilities I used didn't have a sector length paramter.  Besides
most always use the 512 byte size, which is what I need anyway.

Just my $0.02

Tom

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct1.044754.21637@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tgoldtho@ccng.uwaterloo.ca (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) writes:
>In article <51560@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>>
>>Most importantly the sector size is almost always set to 512byte/sec instead
>>of 1024byte/sector. This usually enhances throughput AND capacity of a disk.
>I wouldn't trust your program for now, however.  Until
>NeXT officially releases info on what to do for third party products, the
>program might be broken without you even knowing it.

To use a drive you don't need NeXT's info, you need just a standard
SCSI driver that NeXT supplies and and info on the drive. The fact
that we use our own product gives me enough trust...

>You also don't seem
>to mention the problem with /etc/disktab and the 512/1024 byte sector
>problem.  Such stuff also needs fixing first.

There is no such thing as a 512/1024 byte sector 'problem'. Neither is
there a disktab 'problem'. Of course you should reformat your drive
and of course you need a correct disktab entry, but that's why you
want to use a tool like TheFormatter or get some disks that are
preformatted using such a tool. We supply people with the disktab
entries they need and we also tell them clearly which parameters to
use when low-level formatting the drive. So please WHERE is the problem?

So who want's it least complicated and has a budget to pay for it
should go for NeXT's stuff. But there are a lot of people that can't
afford the configuration they need when buying from NeXT. And these
better look for a solution like the one we supply. If they want the
drives preformatted, they can also call 1-800-cube-rte. The people
there sell preformatted drives for the NeXT.

tgoldtho@ccng.waterloo.edu (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) (10/09/90)

In article <52457@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>There is no such thing as a 512/1024 byte sector 'problem'. Neither is
>there a disktab 'problem'. Of course you should reformat your drive

The problem is simple.  Under 1.0 the disktab file only supports
1024 byte blocks.  You will find this info right at the top of that
file.  For 512 byte the simple fix is to specify that it is a
1024 byte block and work on the rest of the entries under that
assumption.  Very simple, allows any drive to be entered (seems to
me the last time I saw TheFormatter it only supported one type of
drive, it may now be enhanced, I don't know that part).  I've done
this myself on a machine which now has 2GBytes of disk on it, I
therefore KNOW it works, and all I had to do is modify disktab
and use 'disk' to lay out the file system.  As far as low level
formatting goes, I mentioned what to do weeks ago.  Now do me
a favor and stop arguing over the news.  I post my method because
it works, you post yours for the same reason.

Tom

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.214307.26670@ccng.waterloo.edu> tgoldtho@ccng.waterloo.edu (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) writes:
>In article <52457@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>>
>>There is no such thing as a 512/1024 byte sector 'problem'. Neither is
>>there a disktab 'problem'. Of course you should reformat your drive
>>

>The problem is simple.  Under 1.0 the disktab file only supports
>1024 byte blocks.  You will find this info right at the top of that
>file.  For 512 byte the simple fix is to specify that it is a
>1024 byte block and work on the rest of the entries under that
>assumption.  Very simple, allows any drive to be entered (seems to
>me the last time I saw TheFormatter it only supported one type of
>drive, it may now be enhanced, I don't know that part).  I've done
>this myself on a machine which now has 2GBytes of disk on it, I
>therefore KNOW it works, and all I had to do is modify disktab
>and use 'disk' to lay out the file system.  As far as low level
>formatting goes, I mentioned what to do weeks ago.  Now do me
>a favor and stop arguing over the news.  I post my method because
>it works, you post yours for the same reason.
>
>Tom
This is not a simple *fix* - it lets your drive run, that's all.
Nothing is fixed, however: the drive is still formatted at 512 bytes
per sector. At the top-level, two 512 byte-blocks are bundled
together.
In other words:
- you lose speed by bundling and because 512 bytes/sector is not the
fastest way to access data for the big drives.
- you lose space by using 512 bytes/sector (a lot more information
needs to be stored to keep twice as many sectors).

Don't tell me, they are equivalent, please - at a 1GB drive, you lose
about 50MB of disk space and 15-25% speed.

Yes, it works, but the low-level format is a lot more efficient.

Axel

P.s. TheFormatter works for WrenV, WrenVI, WrenVII. Other Wren drives
are on their way, so are Maxtor drives.

In article <52489@brunix.UUCP> agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) writes:
>Nothing is fixed, however: the drive is still formatted at 512 bytes
>per sector. At the top-level, two 512 byte-blocks are bundled
>together.
>In other words:
>- you lose speed by bundling and because 512 bytes/sector is not the
>fastest way to access data for the big drives.
>- you lose space by using 512 bytes/sector (a lot more information
>needs to be stored to keep twice as many sectors).

This bothers me.  We recently received our second "660 MB with
HP controller" (direct from NeXT!) and it's formatted for 512.
The first came installed in a cube, and it only lasted a few days
before needing replacement ... with a genuine Maxtor that's been
working fine, of course.

Here's what scsimodes has to say about it:

Drive type: HP 97548S
512 bytes per sector
56 sectors per track
16 tracks per cylinder
1522 cylinder per volume (including spare cylinders)
1 spare sectors per track
140 alternate tracks per volume
1354751 usable sectors on volume

This sucker's noisy too... so was the first one.
(There's more "horror story" here--but I'll leave that for now.)

This is what NeXT used to ship us:

Drive type: MAXTOR XT-8760S
1024 bytes per sector
28 sectors per track
15 tracks per cylinder
1632 cylinder per volume (including spare cylinders)
4 spare sectors per cylinder
45 alternate tracks per volume
676415 usable sectors on volume

These were GREAT disks.  I guess it's time to start exploring 3rd
party sources.  (And order new color systems while NeXT still
ships Sony monitors???)

					-=EPS=-
--
Several people, on seeing the literature for the NeXTstation
have commented  "Euuu!  Quantum drives!"  and cited that as

tgoldtho@ccng.waterloo.edu (Thomas A. Goldthorpe) (10/09/90)

>This is not a simple *fix* - it lets your drive run, that's all.
>Nothing is fixed, however: the drive is still formatted at 512 bytes
>per sector. At the top-level, two 512 byte-blocks are bundled
>together.

I know this is not the best way to do it.  If you remember my post from
long long (many months) ago, this method was to allow those people with
512byte/sec MAC drives to connect them without much hassle or worry.

>In other words:
>- you lose speed by bundling and because 512 bytes/sector is not the
>fastest way to access data for the big drives.
>- you lose space by using 512 bytes/sector (a lot more information
>needs to be stored to keep twice as many sectors).
>
>Don't tell me, they are equivalent, please - at a 1GB drive, you lose
>about 50MB of disk space and 15-25% speed.

I didn't say they are equivalent.  READ THE PRINT INSTEAD OF READING
SOMETHING INTO IT.  THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY FOR A USER TO PUT ANY
MAC DRIVE ONTO THE NeXT WITHOUT MUCH HASSLE.  THE FACT THAT THIS DISCUSSION
COMES FROM ANSWERING A HELP WANTED ON NON-FUNCTIONAL DRIVE IS BEYOND ME.
WHY DIDN'T YOU QUESTION THIS METHOD THOSE MANY MONTHS AGO?

>Yes, it works, but the low-level format is a lot more efficient.

I do agree that there are much better ways, which reminds me, even
the maxtor that came with the machine I use was done with this method.

>P.s. TheFormatter works for WrenV, WrenVI, WrenVII. Other Wren drives
>are on their way, so are Maxtor drives.

Fine.  Now stop wasting the bandwidth on a silly argument.  My post
was for a method which is a relatively easy way to do things for
those who wanted to use a mac drive (which at the time TheFormatter
didn't support).  Thats all.

Tom