[comp.sys.next] Does the NeXT printer have to be on all the time?

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (10/02/90)

I think with the old cube, when the cube was on, the printer was on
too.  Is this true of the new systems?  (I had a friend 4 years ago
who kept his laser printer on all the time, and his electric bill went
up almost $100 per month.)
        Geoffrey S. Knauth                           geoff@camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                     geoff%camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451                --standard disclaimers--

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (10/02/90)

/ comp.sys.next / geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) / Oct  2, 1990 /
> I think with the old cube, when the cube was on, the printer was on
> too.

Yes, but you can always pull the plug on the printer (if you forget to plug
it back in before printing, you'll get a nice little alert panel...).

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (10/03/90)

In article <1548@camex.COM> geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) writes:
>I think with the old cube, when the cube was on, the printer was on
>too.  Is this true of the new systems?  (I had a friend 4 years ago
>who kept his laser printer on all the time, and his electric bill went
>up almost $100 per month.)

As far as I know, you can run PrinterTester (it's in the NextAdmin
directory, I believe) and turn off the printer electronically on the
old cube.  This should apply to the new machines too.

						Eric Ly

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (10/03/90)

In article <130111@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>> I think with the old cube, when the cube was on, the printer was on
>> too.
>Yes, but you can always pull the plug on the printer (if you forget to plug
>it back in before printing, you'll get a nice little alert panel...).

I didn't see any smiley faces on this one so I'm not sure how to read
your reply. I hope you are only kidding.

If not, there is a much better way. You can power down the printer with
the /NextAdmin/PrinterTester program. Just turn the printer off and the
next time you go to print, it will automatically turn on (and stay on.)
I always leave PrinterTester running and will shut the printer down whenever
I don't have any plans on printing something out.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu
jasmerb@ohsu.edu

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/03/90)

There is also a way to power off the printer from software-- I think
that PrintManager supports this.  Anyway, it can be done from the unix
command line also, though I don't remember how at the moment.

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so. So there. <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.."

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/03/90)

Or, use a terminal and say

	/usr/etc/nppower off

(The only defect is that /usr/etc/nppower first powers up the printer
before it does anything [e.g. shut it down]; so, if you don't remember
whether your printer was off, and you need to shut it off, you may actually
wake it up for a minute or so.)

Of course,

	/usr/etc/nppower on

turns it on again.

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) (10/03/90)

Look at the "nppower" command. It takes one argument: "off" or "on".

--
Charlie S. Lindahl
Automation and Robotics Research Institute

dadler@blake.u.washington.edu (David Adler) (10/03/90)

>Yes, but you can always pull the plug on the printer (if you forget to plug

Not quite right.  If you are superuser you
can turn the printer off with the
command: root# nppower off
It will come on again, on its own when a print
request is given.  I leave my printer off 95% of the
time, i.e. when not printing.
(thank you Corey)
David Adler

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (10/03/90)

In article <1548@camex.COM> geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) writes:
>I think with the old cube, when the cube was on, the printer was on
>too.  Is this true of the new systems?  (I had a friend 4 years ago
>who kept his laser printer on all the time, and his electric bill went
>up almost $100 per month.)

When the system boots it powers up the printer, then shifts it to standby
mode until something comes along to print.  It only draws 110 watts in
standby (640 watts while printing), so it won't be anything like $100 a
month on your electric bill.  Obviously if you're not going to use the
printer for more than a couple of days you could unplug it.

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (10/03/90)

removing the line from /etc/rc that starts lpd will prevent the
printer from automatically powering up when the next comes on.

you can then start the daemon just before the first time you
print something.  after you've done some printing, use 'nppower off'
to turn it off.  next time around it'll come on automatically.

(request to next:  could we make this a little cleaner please?)
--

                                             .mike.

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/09/90)

Check out man 8 nppower.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662