[comp.sys.next] Why no floppy upgrade? Answer.

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/10/90)

I've had a few requests for the answer to this since I said it in some
post somewhere.  Just has taken me awhile to get a post together and
post it.  So if anybody has been wondering about this, or if I hadn't
already posted this (I don't THINK I did), then here's the reason,
more or less.

 = BTW, why isn't NeXT offering the floppy upgrade?

Basically, NeXT reworked the inside of the Cube.  Along with a
reversed fan (don't know how it's reversed), the drive bays are
physically different.  The old Cube could only support two 660 drives,
but the new one can support 2 1.4Gig drives.  I'm not sure all the
details, but the bay sizes are too different.  I know with the new
Cube, you can put a floppy, a 105MB, and ither two small drives, or
one big one in the lower bay.  The new layout gives a lot more
configuration ability, and allows for a wider range of drive sizes,
from what I understand.

This information was gained by talking to the folks out a NeXT (they
even called back and gave me an answer to a question I'd asked a few
days before.  Not bad!)

-k

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (10/10/90)

  If you purchased your cube within the last 6 months or so, you should
have the new config for installing 4 (if you want 'em) half height
mechanisms, including an internal 2.88 MB floppy. (You have four
mounting spots instead of two.) NeXT will ship you a new front plate
so that you can have the drive set up for the new cubes if you want it.
I saw this on a price list, but can't remember how much the new face
plate costs.  The width and height of space for drives is still the
same as always.
-Bill

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (10/10/90)

In article <SMITHW.90Oct10075343@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) writes:

>  If you purchased your cube within the last 6 months or so, you should
>have the new config for installing 4 (if you want 'em) half height
>mechanisms, including an internal 2.88 MB floppy. (You have four
>mounting spots instead of two.) NeXT will ship you a new front plate
>so that you can have the drive set up for the new cubes if you want it.
>I saw this on a price list, but can't remember how much the new face
>plate costs.  The width and height of space for drives is still the
>same as always.
>-Bill

Does anyone know the serial numbers for the reconfigured cubes?  If I have a
reconfigured '030 cube with OD and 330 meg HD as provided by NeXT, do I have
room for an internal floppy?

--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (10/11/90)

>Does anyone know the serial numbers for the reconfigured cubes?  If I have a
>reconfigured '030 cube with OD and 330 meg HD as provided by NeXT, do I have
>room for an internal floppy?

No you do not.  You will have to replace your full height Maxtor with
a half-height drive.  Then you can mount (provided you have the newer
model drive case) the floppy/hard drive/optical. Buy an external case
+ for your 330 or sell it if you really want the internal floppy. . .
-Bill

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/11/90)

I don't know the serial numbers, but there is a very easy way to tell if
you have 4 half-height bays or two full-height bays.

Remove the back cover and check out the power-supply/drive chassis (no
need to pull it out).

If you have an old style chassis, then there will be only two sets of
drive screw holes (filled by an OD and a drive).  If you have the new
type, there will be four sets of holes.

b.bum

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so. So there. <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.."