[comp.sys.next] Workspace Exiting Unexpectedly

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/10/90)

By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

keith@panews (10/10/90)

In article <90282.200109SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
>Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
>afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
>by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?

Yeah, isn't it great!  Logout in less than three seconds!
Keith Mason
...!ibmsupt!keith
(415) 855-3920
Disclamer: These are my opinions; no one else would want them

moose@svc.portal.com (10/11/90)

In article <90282.200109SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
>Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
>afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
>by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?

Thank you for this tidbit.  Now I know how to log off the cube without getting
that irritating message box.  Unfortunately, this feature has been removed in
system 2.0.  Bummer.
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/11/90)

moose@svc.portal.com writes:
>In article <90282.200109SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>>By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
>>Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
>>afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
>>by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?
>
>Thank you for this tidbit.  Now I know how to log off the cube without getting
>that irritating message box.  Unfortunately, this feature has been removed in
>system 2.0.  Bummer.

Note, though, that using the '///' feature in Workspace actually seems to
kill off the Workspace, not log it out.  As if root did kill -9 on it.
Thus, you might find that certain programs (like Stuart) don't correctly
fix certain files that are modified in the course of the program.

Then again, if you _really_ need to get out of the Workspace fast :-).

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.234917.707@svc.portal.com>, moose@svc.portal.com writes:
> In article <90282.200109SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
> >By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
> >Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
> >afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
> >by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?
>
> Thank you for this tidbit.  Now I know how to log off the cube without getting
> that irritating message box.  Unfortunately, this feature has been removed in
> system 2.0.  Bummer.

Well, we debated quite a bit on whether this was a bug or
a feature, but after some testing it appears that it is
not 100 percent reliable - if you hit the three slashs,
then the <Return> key fast enough, you actually hang the
Workspace Manager (I didn't do this, but I showed this to
a person who is I think the fastest touch-typist I know
and he hung it with 100 percent reliability.)

the other apps keep going, so you can go into a Shell and
kill the Workspace Manager, this clears things up and you
can log in again.

Thus I conclude that it is a bug, not a feature.

Pity, I like the idea. Of course, I don't type that fast,
it doesn't appear to be leaving a core file anywhere, and
the machine emits no smoke, so until told otherwise, and
until 2.0 arrives, I'm using it!

			- peterd

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
| a   a |	This misinformation cheerfully brought to you
 \  a  /	by someone that just doesn't take it
  \___/         all too seriously.

nop@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/11/90)

   From: scott@NIC.GAC.EDU
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 11 Oct 90 05:24:39 GMT

scott@gac.edu writes:
> moose@svc.portal.com writes:
>>In article <90282.200109SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>>> By accident I typed in three forward slashes in the Workspace
>>> Name Expansion window and I got logged out! I was experimenting
>>> afterwards and it seems you can get yourself logged out even
>>> by typing two slashes in a row. Is this an undocumented feature?
>>
>> Thank you for this tidbit.  Now I know how to log off the cube without getting
>> that irritating message box.  Unfortunately, this feature has been removed in
>> system 2.0.  Bummer.

> Note, though, that using the '///' feature in Workspace actually seems to
> kill off the Workspace, not log it out.  As if root did kill -9 on it.
> Thus, you might find that certain programs (like Stuart) don't correctly
> fix certain files that are modified in the course of the program.

And it doesn't eject your OD.  This looks to be a win for me because
it means I could conceivably leave my OD in a machine whilst
downloading stuff overnight by modem or network.

> Then again, if you _really_ need to get out of the Workspace fast :-).

Oh, I _do_, I _do_. :-)

> scott hess
> scott@gac.edu

  // Jay Carlson
\X/  nop@gac.edu
"Excuse me--I'm just trying to find the _bridge_. Has anybody seen the bridge?"