[comp.sys.next] Bundled Software

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (10/05/90)

In article <72100011@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> In the original NeXT, Mathematica was bundled with the system.  But I see no
> mention of Mathematica on the list of software items given on p. 16 of the
> new "Fall 1990 List Prices".  Does this mean that Mathematica has been
> dropped?  Too bad, if it is.  I hear the new version of Mathematica for the
> Mac is a knockout and includes sound capability.  Does anyone know why it
> was dropped from the NeXT and how much it will cost to replace it?

Mathematica is only included on 'Educational' machines.  Whatever that
means.

In the product overview, there is a list of bundled software.
Release 2.0 (basic) includes..

*End User Applications
   Workspace Mgr(tm)
   NeXT Mail(tm)
   WriteNow(r) Word Processor
   Digital Webster(tm) (9th Collegiate Dictionary(r) and Collegiate
	Thesaurus(r))
   Digital Librarian(tm)
   Edit
   Mathematica(r)-for higher education customers only
   DataViz/Bridge(tm)
   Installer
   FaxReader
   Preferences
   Preview for Post Script
   PrintManager

*Developer Tools
   VT100(tm) Terminal Emulator [Stuart I hear]

*System Administration Applications
   BuildDisk
   InstallTablet
   Mail Manager
   NetInfo Manager
   NetManager
   Printer Tester
   User Manager
   Installer

RELEASE 2.0 (extended) also includes....

*End User Applications
   Oxford(r) Dictionary of Quotations
   William Shakespeare, The Complete Works (for Didigal Librarian)
   TEX(tm) Document Processing System (Radical Eye Software)
[it doesn't mention Improv here but it is mentioned elsewhere about the
 promotion]

*Developer Tools
   Interface Builder(tm)
   Objective-C(r) Language Compiler
   C++ Language Compiler
   Objective-C Class Definitions
   56001 DSP Tools
   GNU Emacs
   GNU Debugger
   BUG-56(tm) Debugger (Ariel)
   Malloc Debugger
   AppInspector(tm)
   PostScript Tools
   Application Kit(tm)
   Music Kit(tm)
   Sound Kit(tm)
   On-line technical documentation

----end----

This document doesn't have a name but it appears to be a product line
overview (with specs.  etc...)

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct5.110959.284@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:
>In the product overview, there is a list of bundled software.
>RELEASE 2.0 (extended) also includes....
>
>*End User Applications
>[it doesn't mention Improv here but it is mentioned elsewhere about the
> promotion]

Improv is NOT part of neither the standart nor the extended release.
It is a one time promotional offer that all people that buy or upgrade
to a new system before the end of the year will receive a free copy of
Improv.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet