[comp.sys.next] Full height SCSI disk housings

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (10/06/90)

As part of our eventual integration of the new NeXT slabs, we may want to
remove some of our 330MB Maxtors (original NeXT disks) and place them in
external housings.  I'm aware of Pacific Micro's HDE product which costs
approximately $325 per disk (two disks per housing) at developer prices.  Is
anyone aware of (and preferably had experience with) any cheaper full size
SCSI disk housings, e.g. from the Macintosh third party market.

Thanks,

- Christopher
-------

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/12/90)

In article <MailManager.655160259.9952.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu> lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>As part of our eventual integration of the new NeXT slabs, we may want to
>remove some of our 330MB Maxtors (original NeXT disks) and place them in
>external housings.  I'm aware of Pacific Micro's HDE product which costs
>approximately $325 per disk (two disks per housing) at developer prices.  Is
>anyone aware of (and preferably had experience with) any cheaper full size
>SCSI disk housings, e.g. from the Macintosh third party market.

If it doesn't have to look nice, then get some issue of computer
shopper and look for externa cases for PC-compatibles. They have
usually a power supply built in. The cable work should not be too
difficult. And these are a lot cheaper but less stylish than the HDE
cases.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (10/12/90)

In article <52952@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
->In article <MailManager.655160259.9952.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu> lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
->>As part of our eventual integration of the new NeXT slabs, we may want to
->>remove some of our 330MB Maxtors (original NeXT disks) and place them in
->>external housings.  I'm aware of Pacific Micro's HDE product which costs
->>approximately $325 per disk (two disks per housing) at developer prices.  Is
->>anyone aware of (and preferably had experience with) any cheaper full size
->>SCSI disk housings, e.g. from the Macintosh third party market.
->
->
->If it doesn't have to look nice, then get some issue of computer
->shopper and look for externa cases for PC-compatibles. They have
->usually a power supply built in. The cable work should not be too
->difficult. And these are a lot cheaper but less stylish than the HDE
->cases.
->
->Ronald
[...]

For WAY less money if it doesn't have to look nice (or more precisely,
if you don't mind that it looks ratty), get an old PC case.  You can
fit all sorts of spare hardware in it.

Ken