[comp.sys.next] New lower-priced NeXTcube

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (10/09/90)

Step right up, folks, it's time for a clearance sale!  NeXT has just announced
new lower pricing on a current NeXTcube (with immediate delivery) plus a 68040
upgrade (ASAP).  Here's the comparison:

High Capacity NeXTcube (order number N1000A-OAE-16/HC) - 68040, 16 MB RAM, 2.88
MB internal floppy, 340 MB HD - $11,495 list.

New offer - 68030 now, 68040 upgrade when available, 8 MB RAM, 2.88 MB
***EXTERNAL*** floppy, 330 MB HD, ***OPTICAL DRIVE*** - $9,995 list ($10,995
with 660 MB HD).

Both have the MegaPixel Display, keyboard, mouse, and release 2.0 extended
software.  Educational discounts are available.

Bottom line: buy 8 MB more RAM (< $500 third-party) and NeXT will pay you $1000
***AND A FREE OPTICAL DRIVE*** to buy a system of equivalent power (and you can
use the 68030 till the 68040 ships!).  Who says there's no Santa Claus?  If I
didn't already have 4 cubes I'd jump at this!

Call your friendly neighborhood NeXT salesperson now!

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/09/90)

In article <8903@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>New offer - 68030 now, 68040 upgrade when available, 8 MB RAM, 2.88 MB
>***EXTERNAL*** floppy, 330 MB HD, ***OPTICAL DRIVE*** - $9,995 list ($10,995
>with 660 MB HD).
>Bottom line: buy 8 MB more RAM (< $500 third-party) and NeXT will pay you $1000
>***AND A FREE OPTICAL DRIVE*** to buy a system of equivalent power (and you can

	All I can say is that I think I am going to **CRY** :-( I paid $7200+
	for a BASIC 030 cube just 2 months ago... and $1100 for 320 mb drive
	few weeks ago...	^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Now I have less than $200 to go throu the entire semester... some
	how I feel I've been mugged.

	Can NeXT do something to people like us who "unfortunately"
	bought our 030 NeXT right before new announcement?
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

lagarde@sol.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean Lagarde) (10/10/90)

In article 8130 cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:

 > All I can say is that I think I am going to **CRY** :-( I paid $7200+
 > for a BASIC 030 cube just 2 months ago... and $1100 for 320 mb drive
 > few weeks ago...	^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >
 > Now I have less than $200 to go throu the entire semester... some
 > how I feel I've been mugged.

For all you other folks in the same situation, you'll be laughing
when you hear mine:

I ORDERED my NeXT from McGill University's computer store in July. I
learned they had received it the week before the big announcement.
Now get this:  I haven't bought this computer yet, but because NeXT
does not want to credit McGill with the difference, I will have to pay
the original price anyway.  My feeling is that  NeXT shows a very
bad will over this issue (or maybe McGill is not trying hard enough to
convince NeXT?).

I was prepared to pay the original price in the first place, but
I also feel I am being mugged, considering that I do not have any
other choice than to buy from McGill.

--
----------
Jean Lagarde       lagarde@moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/11/90)

In article <LAGARDE.90Oct10124522@sol.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>, lagarde@sol.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean Lagarde) writes...

>In article 8130 cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
> > All I can say is that I think I am going to **CRY** :-( I paid $7200+
> > for a BASIC 030 cube just 2 months ago... and $1100 for 320 mb drive
> > few weeks ago...	^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  [ more unhappiness ]

Well, actually NeXT did not make a secret out of their upcoming product
announcements, and your respective computer store should have warned you that
in a short time, you may be able to buy something new.

Of course, you probably got good use out of your computer for a couple of
months. Buying a new machine would probably force you to rent a computer for a
lot of money for a few weeks, too. I bought my machine earlier, and paid $2,200
for the 320MB disk, which also cost me the right to get a 40MB harddisk for
free (I had hoped at one point that NeXT would give harddisk buyers a break,
since they always charged 50-100% over market). If I had waited a bit longer to
buy a harddisk, it would have been cheaper, and my money could have produced
interest. Then again, I wanted a machine THEN.

NeXT has been very good extending warranties, sending free 40MB upgrade drives,
etc., and the old cubes still have a good value even after the new product
announcement. Used cubes apparently go for roughly $5500. I for one feel that
NeXT has treated old users very well.

Again, if you just bought your cube 1 week ago, and your store did not tell you
about the upcoming product announcement, you got a raw deal. Maybe NeXT or your
store will decide to give you some small discount if you bring up the issue.
But I don't think that it is NeXT's fault that computer prices are going down
all the time. I hope you won't carry a grudge.

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct10.211802.20323@midway.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <LAGARDE.90Oct10124522@sol.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>, lagarde@sol.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean Lagarde) writes...
>Well, actually NeXT did not make a secret out of their upcoming product
>announcements, and your respective computer store should have warned you that
>in a short time, you may be able to buy something new.

	yes, but no one knows if the new one is going to be even more
	expensive as said by the local sale representative. BTW, the
	University rose the price right on the day I made order!!!!!
	And no, they did not warn me, and they said I get better deal with
	them!!!!

>But I don't think that it is NeXT's fault that computer prices are going down
>all the time. I hope you won't carry a grudge.

	I know it is not NeXT's fault that the computer's prices go down
	all the time, just that it is almost $4000 of savings in 2 months
	is TOO MUCH than a heart attack. (ps, from $7200+ down to $3200+
	of educational discount price, I can get TWO NeXTstations or
	a NeXTstation color!
	Now tell me what do you say.