[net.auto] After Market Cruise Control Installations

sja@rduxb.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) (09/22/85)

> I, too, have had experience with the Sears cruise control installed

re:  I forgot to mention in my original posting about installing the Sears unit
in my 79 Accord.

Reading all of these postings reminded me about how I handled the stupid
linkages and switches for the brake and clutch pedals.  I didn't use them.
As for the clutch interlock, I just remember not to declutch when in cruise
mode, not to difficult a task.
As for the brake interlock (a real necessity!), I tied into the brake light
signal from the pedal actuated switch and operated a small relay with it.
The relay contacts were fed to the shutdown circuitry of the cruise unit.

It worked beautifully, of course, and did away with all those absurd mechanical
contraptions some underworked M.E. cranked out.

                                 SAMANA  from  AT&T Bell Labs Reading

scb@philabs.UUCP (Sean Byrne) (09/27/85)

based on the ramblings on the net about the sears autocruise, i picked
one up for my 79 Prelude.  Installation was about 6 hours (they've cleaned
up the kits some) and eveything worked the first time.  There are no longer
any chains or switched hooked up to the pedals, instead the cutoff switch
is spliced into the brake switch and for manual transmission there is a
sensor you hang on the distributor wire that will disengage the system
if it detects a sudden increase in rpm.  The only problem being that it
can't seem to hold cruise much above 80mph.  It will work for about 1
minute and then disengage.  Suggestions are welcomed.  (Not that I
drive 80 mph, all the time... :-)

--
USENET-	      ....		Sean Byrne
5 years	    .  /\  .		Computer Arch. and Prog. Sys.

lienhart@hpfcla.UUCP (10/01/85)

Try disconnecting the rev sensor on the distributor.  This sensor is always in
direct competition with the speed sensor on the drive shaft, and the distributor
sensor seems to win most of the time.

king@kestrel.ARPA (10/01/85)

In article <459@philabs.UUCP>, scb@philabs.UUCP (Sean Byrne) writes:

> based on the ramblings on the net about the sears autocruise, i picked
> one up for my 79 Prelude.  Installation was about 6 hours (they've cleaned
> up the kits some) and eveything worked the first time.  There are no longer
> any chains or switched hooked up to the pedals, instead the cutoff switch
> is spliced into the brake switch and for manual transmission there is a
> sensor you hang on the distributor wire that will disengage the system
> if it detects a sudden increase in rpm.  The only problem being that it
> can't seem to hold cruise much above 80mph.  It will work for about 1
> minute and then disengage.  Suggestions are welcomed.  (Not that I
> drive 80 mph, all the time... :-)

Maybe the autocruise is not detecting a sudden increase in RPM, but
instead has a maximum RPM or a maximum pulse rate, above which it
can't believe you have the clutch engaged.

-dick

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (10/05/85)

In article <459@philabs.UUCP>, scb@philabs.UUCP (Sean Byrne) writes:

>                                    ...  The only problem being that it
> can't seem to hold cruise much above 80mph.  It will work for about 1
> minute and then disengage.  Suggestions are welcomed.  (Not that I
> drive 80 mph, all the time... :-)

     I've heard numerous mumblings about some cruise controls that won't hold
any speed over 80.  (This is a "feature".)  Perhaps this is true in the case
of the Sears unit.

     Actually, there's only one case where I've found having a cruise control
on doing over 80 was useful, and that was when I was trying to get across
Nebraska on I-80.  I was on the CB every 15 minutes asking where Mr. Bear
was hiding.  Usually going much more than 75 or so with a cruise control on
is like driving through rush hour with the cruise contol on, practically
useles because you don't maintain a steady speed for long and possibly
dangerous because you can loose track of your speed.
--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}