[comp.sys.next] Next plans for MC9600?

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (10/13/90)

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>I wonder how busy the i860 is with doing 24-bit PostScript. It might
>turn out that it is too busy to make much sense to give it the
>additional burden of array processing. Would be cool though to have an
>96002 add-on board that could use the ArrayProcessingKit and leave the
>56001 free for sound processing.

I called Next shortly after the release of the new machines and asked
whether the i860 could be used for "screamin'" floating point in addition
to its other functions.  Of course the Tele-business people didn't know a
thing, but they patched me over to a guy (the name escapes me but I may still
have it written down somewhere) that works on the beasts.  The answer appears
to be no.

Does anyone know about any Next plans for the MC96000?  Will it replace the
MC56001 or add additional capability?  With a chip like that integrated
on the motherboard or NextDimension board plus a toolkit, I think they'd sell
a ton of them around here.  Third party add-in boards are probably not nearly
as desireable.

What about it Next?  Anyone?  I'm willing to sign any non-disclosure paper
you throw in front of me and keep my mouth shut.

Rick Fanta 	PAR Technologies

"... She said that she was working for the ABC news,
     it was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use ..."
	- Elvis Costello