cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/12/90)

In article <mheubi.655681955@HP_19) mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) writes:
)And what about a new printpanel with a
)'print ODD/EVEN pages only' button??
)
)I like to use my paper on BOTH sides!
)
)-matthew

YES!!! me too. Imagine putting drilled paper into you laser printer
and getting both-sides printing automatically!!

and not least of all, imagine that 50% less trees get cut down
as a result of this wonderful feature being added to the NeXT
printer!!

Like John Lennon said: "Imagine..."

--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (10/12/90)

In fact, some of us have duplex laser printers available (Ethernet attached
on the local network), and would like to be able to specify "double sided".

It seems like the printing software could look in the Adobe Printer Description
file for the printer you selected to determine which "features" you have
available (duplex, multiple input/output trays, stack face up/down, etc).

louie

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/12/90)

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>In fact, some of us have duplex laser printers available (Ethernet attached
>on the local network), and would like to be able to specify "double sided".
>
>It seems like the printing software could look in the Adobe Printer Description
>file for the printer you selected to determine which "features" you have
>available (duplex, multiple input/output trays, stack face up/down, etc).

[And all the other stuff . . .]

Actually, this stuff all belongs in the PageLayout panel.  IMHO, you should
be able to "print" (in quotes, because you could also save, etc) double-sided,
side-by-side (like enscript), also multiple pages (like four on a page
for draft - to see what it looks like overall), and much much more.  I
really liked a utility I had for PCs and HP LaserJets which printed
side by side, and if you fed correctly, both sides of the page.  Really
made for nice, three-ring-bindable output.  Now that I _really_ print
out stuff . . .

Another complaint I have with the current PageLayout is that if I've got a
small graphic I've just designed in Draw, it forces it to a best-fit
position.  The problem is, I like to design the graphic in Draw, save to
eps, and then drag it over to WriteNow.  Since the graphic is generally
longer in the horizontal direction, PageLayout decides to Landscape it.

_Not_ what I want.  Then, I have to go in and edit the file directly
to fix all that.  If the graphic is narrow enough to fit fine on the
page in Portrait, there's really no reason to Landscape it.  Also,
it'd be nice to adjust stuff like where it is placed on the page if
it is small enough (in this case, I'd like to push it flush to the
top of the page).

I know that Draw is not designed to be a general-purpose drawing tool,
just a demo.  But the problem, here, is in the PageLayout panel, I
believe, so any other app would suffer with it, also, if they used the
same panel.  I don't know for sure if the 2.0 PageLayout works the
same way, though I'd assume it does.

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (10/12/90)

In article <9021@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
>In article <mheubi.655681955@HP_19) mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) writes:
>)And what about a new printpanel with a
>)'print ODD/EVEN pages only' button??

A neat little shell script called ps-2sided should be at one of the archive
sites.  I use it all the time to print on both sides.  As it now stands, you
must produce a PS or EPS output file (can't remember which kind) and run
ps-2sided on this file to produce files ps-odd and ps-even (or some similar
names).  Then "cat ps-odd | lpr" to print odd pages in the proper order so that
you merely flip over the stack of printed odd pages and place it in the
printer paper tray and run "cat ps-even | lpr".  You then have double-sided
printing!  I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to automate this process a little
more, but you'll still have to flip the stack yourself!  One caveat:  toner
from the printed side of the paper seems to contaminate the rollers that draw
the paper into the printer which sometimes results in some faint smudges at the
tops of the pages, so more cleaning of the printer might be required to keep
copies as sharp as possible.

>)I like to use my paper on BOTH sides!
>)
>)-matthew
>
>YES!!! me too. Imagine putting drilled paper into you laser printer
>and getting both-sides printing automatically!!
>
>and not least of all, imagine that 50% less trees get cut down
>as a result of this wonderful feature being added to the NeXT
>printer!!
>
>Like John Lennon said: "Imagine..."
>

>--
>	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

If you can't find ps-2sided, I can email you a copy.
--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane

mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) (10/13/90)

NeXTer mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) writes:
>And what about a new printpanel with a
>'print ODD/EVEN pages only' button??
>I like to use my paper on BOTH sides!

One word of warning:  printing on both sides by running
the paper through twice can lead to jamming, I guess
because the sheets tend to stick together more after
they have been printed on one side.  One person even
told me that you can damage the printer, but I'm not
sure how (print coming off inside?)

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

peb@Autodesk.COM (Paul Baclaski) (10/13/90)

In article <9034@helios.TAMU.EDU>, mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) writes:
> ...  One person even
> told me that you can damage the printer, but I'm not
> sure how (print coming off inside?)

That is correct.  Apparently, copiers that do duplex have the same problem
with gunk building up inside, but the copier service people somehow clean
the stuff out from time to time, so it is not a problem.  So, if you want
2 sided printing and multiple copies, it is better to print one sided and
then use a copier that converts to duplex.  Using offset printed letterheads
should not be a problem because ink is used instead of toner, I suppose.

If your reason for printing on both sides is to save paper, you might
end up spending more money getting your printer serviced than the savings
in paper (recycle the scrap paper however!).

Paul E. Baclaski
peb@autodesk.com

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/13/90)

Apropos jamming paper: my NeXT printer occasionally pulls 2 pages instead
of one page of ordinary Xerox paper through the mechanism. It doesn't jam,
but the output contains blank pages at random intervals. Is this normal?

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu