[comp.sys.next] {Stanford,Berkeley} & Sun

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (10/12/90)

In <291@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us writes:
>Wasn't Sun started by people from Stanford, not Berkeley?  SUN used
>to stand for Stanford University Network, the way I heard it.

You've got the original name expansion correct--the first SUN workstations
were built at Stanford and ran Berkeley Unix, eventually anyway.  That sort of
puts the machine somewhere in the middle of San Francisco Bay.  (Just where
I'd like to put all their keyboards. ;-)

In addition to our operational Sun-3's and Sun-4's, we've got Sun-2's and a
Sun-1 sitting around our machine room.  Our (diskless) Sun-1 would still be up
and running if hadn't pulled out the 3MB (experimental) Ethernet.

I apologize for the fact that this reply has no useful NeXT information though
I guess it does fit in with other messages to comp.sys.next in that regard.
Now that NeXT has 15,000 new orders, does that mean we're going to see twice
the number of 'how do I put my ThinNet NeXT on our ThickNet cable' questions
than have been already been posted?  Just something to look forward to.

- Christopher

When I went to the Boston Computer Museum in Spring '89, I realized that the
only difference between it and our machine room was that our Alto was running.
-------

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/13/90)

In article <MailManager.655745779.1575.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu) lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
)Now that NeXT has 15,000 new orders, does that mean we're going to see twice
)the number of 'how do I put my ThinNet NeXT on our ThickNet cable' questions
)than have been already been posted?  Just something to look forward to.

     I find it encouraging that people who may not be ethernet gurus
are buying NeXTs and putting their machines on the net. They're as
welcome as anyone else, and the net is better for them.

--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

paul@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Paul Burchard) (10/14/90)

In article <9037@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
>In article <MailManager.655745779.1575.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu) lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>)Now that NeXT has 15,000 new orders, does that mean we're going to see twice
>)the number of 'how do I put my ThinNet NeXT on our ThickNet cable' questions
>)than have been already been posted?  Just something to look forward to.
>
>     I find it encouraging that people who may not be ethernet gurus
>are buying NeXTs and putting their machines on the net. They're as
>welcome as anyone else, and the net is better for them.

OK, I'll bite...how DO you connect your NeXT to thick ethernet?  Without
spending $1000 or more, that is?  What's the best deal in town?  The
inquiring thousands want to know :-}

Paul Burchard	<burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still trying to learn how to count backwards from infinity...''