[comp.sys.next] Apps not iconizing properly.

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (10/10/90)

I have managed to successfully download binaries and sources from Purdue.
I can uncompress them, untar them, compile them, and get them to run properly.
For some reason, I can't get the icons that come with some of the programs to
show up.  What am I doing wrong?

I used to put all of my NeXT binaries in ~/next-bin.  Now I have a ~/Apps
thinking that that might make a difference.  It doesn't seem to.  I have used
the 'install' and the 'mv' commands to put things in there.  That doesn't seem
to make a difference either.  Is there a difference between the two?  When I
select the programs on the browser, all I get is a generic application icon in
the window to the right side of the browser.  I never see the icons that came
with the application unless I examine them with the interface builder or the
tiff editor.  When I choose the make option in the interface builder, I don't
get a .debug file like the manual says I should.  Could this have something to
do with it?  How do I let the NeXT know which extensions are supposed to
automatically open an application?  For instance, how do I let NeXT know to
open ViewGif2.0 when I click on a .gif file?  I thought this was all taken care
of if you use the interface builder.  As I said, the applications work well.
There is just something screwed up in the highest level of the interface.

Thanks in advance.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (10/10/90)

In article <velasco.655498187@beowulf> velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>I have managed to successfully download binaries and sources from Purdue.
>I can uncompress them, untar them, compile them, and get them to run properly.
>For some reason, I can't get the icons that come with some of the programs to
>show up.  What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes you can get the custom icon if you put the application in

	~/Apps
	/LocalApps
	/NextApps
	/NextDeveloper/Apps
	/NextAdmin
	/NextDeveloper/Demos

and use the Find Applications command in the Workspace's Utilities menu.
See page 161 of the NeXT User's Reference manual.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/14/90)

In article <5731@mace.cc.purdue.edu> abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:
>In article <velasco.655498187@beowulf> velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>>I have managed to successfully download binaries and sources from Purdue.
>>I can uncompress them, untar them, compile them, and get them to run properly.
>>For some reason, I can't get the icons that come with some of the programs to
>>show up.  What am I doing wrong?
>
>Sometimes you can get the custom icon if you put the application in
>
>	~/Apps
>	/LocalApps
>	/NextApps
>	/NextDeveloper/Apps
>	/NextAdmin
>	/NextDeveloper/Demos
>
>and use the Find Applications command in the Workspace's Utilities menu.
>See page 161 of the NeXT User's Reference manual.

The Workspace manager only shows the custom icons for applications
that are in the application path. When you log in on the console, the
WS looks in all of these directories to get the icons. If you add an
application later, you will have to use the Utilities -> Find
Applications command from the WS-manager menu to register them for the
current session. If you log in the next time, they will be found automatically.
If you want to add other directories to the above listed Workspace
managers application path, then you need to do the following from the
command line:
 dwrite Workspace ApplicationPaths "<all the directories, separated by : >"

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/14/90)

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <5731@mace.cc.purdue.edu> abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:
>>In article <velasco.655498187@beowulf> velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>>>I have managed to successfully download binaries and sources from Purdue.
>>>I can uncompress them, untar them, compile them, and get them to run properly.
>>>For some reason, I can't get the icons that come with some of the programs to
>>>show up.  What am I doing wrong
>The Workspace manager only shows the custom icons for applications
>that are in the application path. When you log in on the console, the
>WS looks in all of these directories to get the icons. If you add an
>application later, you will have to use the Utilities -> Find
>Applications command from the WS-manager menu to register them for the
>current session. If you log in the next time, they will be found automatically.
>If you want to add other directories to the above listed Workspace
>managers application path, then you need to do the following from the
>command line:
> dwrite Workspace ApplicationPaths "<all the directories, separated by : >"

So far as I've been able to tell, 2.0 automagically detects the icon for
pretty much _anything_.  If you choose a program with no apparent relation to
the WSM search path, it finds the icon, anyhow.  Which is _very_ nice, because
you need not spend days figuring out where exactly the program should go.
Also, it means that multiple programs can have the same name, with different
icons.

For Your Information . . .

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>